Chapter Fourteen

Hot torrents of grief coursed down my cheeks, the streaks of tears hidden amongst the rain.

My throat tightened, only capable of taking sharp intakes of breath. My t-shirt and jeans were soaked from the torrential rain falling from the heavens above, clinging on to me like a second skin.

I concentrated hard on the smell of the wet tarmac instead of the strong metallic stench of blood that stained my skin and was ingrained into my clothes, reminding me of the gruelling events that had only just occurred.

The grief and pain of the memories from witnessing my mothers death and confronting her murderer all in one day was too much. It felt like someone was shoving a burning hot poker straight into my heart.

And on top of that, I had allowed myself to lose control, to brutally maul a man apart like some deranged beast—an act that was wholly deserved though—with Shigaraki watching every second of it. The last person I would ever want to see me in such a light.

He must think I'm a monster.

I considered getting up and running away, far away, from everyone and everything. Just like I did as a child. To be free of the grief, the embarrassment, the pain. To simply be free. However, I knew that wouldn't solve anything. I wasn't a coward.

I knew Kai would never stop looking for me. Following me to the end of the world if he had to. He would no doubt punish the League for my selfishness, putting all the blame on them for a decision that they had no partake in.

I couldn't do that to them, not after everything they had already done for me and how kindly they treated me since my arrival.

A small part of me also hated the thought of never being able to see Shigaraki or smell his sweet scent again. It wanted to make the most of the small-time I had left with the League until I inevitably had to go back to Kai.

I sniffled, wiping my dripping nose with the back of my hand. The sounds of wet footsteps approaching made my heart stutter. I couldn't bring myself to look up at who it was, the rainfall hiding their scent from me.

The footsteps stopped, and a pair of red sneakers moved into my line of view.

"You'll catch a cold if you stay out here," a familiar raspy voice echoed through the alleyway.

"I don't care. Leave me alone," I growled back harshly.

Shigaraki sighed, crouching down so that his face was level with mine. He pinched my chin and tried pulling it up but I flinched away at his touch.

"Don't look at me," I breathed, my bottom lip quivering.

Ignoring my demurrals, he reached out again, firmly gripping my jaw this time and forcing me to look up at him. I darted my eyes to the side, staring anywhere other than his face.

"Mina," he ordered.

"No," yanking my chin away again.

"Stop fighting me and look," pulling my chin back towards him.

"I forgot her..." I whimpered, still keeping my gaze away from him. There was a drawn out pause that only had my heart stutter more.

"I don't know what to say. I'm sorry you had to go through all that but just know that no one blames you for forgetting."

"How could I forget her, my mother?! What kind of person does that make me?" I sniffled back more tears.

"Everyone copes with trauma differently, trust me, I know..."

I quickly glanced up at him.

"But you're not a bad person Mina, believe me," he says sincerely.

"You're wrong, I'm a monster," shaking my head.