Chapter Sixteen

The feeling was utterly euphoric, weaving in and out of the intricate labyrinth of trees. My hair whipped across my back as I advanced at an incredible speed, my claws gripping into the dampened earth, spurring me forward.

My muscles buzzed with an immense amount of energy—I felt like I could run forever. The sounds of my hands and feet pounding hard against the ground echoed out into the silence. A cacophony of noises was pouring out of me, a mixture of snarls and laughter. Launching high onto the trunk of a nearby conifer tree, I heard bark cracking under the sheer strength of my claws. I vaulted gracefully from branch to branch, landing every jump successfully with the littlest effort.

The gaps in the thick blanket of leaves in the above canopy allowed some light to leak through, playing with the shadows and colours on the forest floor below. The harmony of scents was ineffable, from damp moss to the citrusy pine of cedar. With every inhale, I felt my body getting stronger. Like I was breathing for the first time in my life.

This place is magical.

To most, the scenery appeared gloomy and cold, but to me it was safe, familiar and beautiful. My heart was at ease here.

I wasn't sure how long it had been since I started running, it was so easy to lose track of time in a place so peaceful. The meadow that we arrived in was no longer in sight.

Now safely back on the ground, I slowed my pace down to a steady walk, pushing up so I was back to standing on two feet again. There was a somewhat pleasant burn resonating throughout my muscles. Muscles which hadn't been through such vigorous exertion like this in years. It felt like a lifetime ago since I ran like that, and it was fucking exhilarating!

I'll have to stretch later or I'm seriously going to regret it in the morning.

I ascended the slight incline that leaned off back into the direction that I had just come from. The hill becoming steeper and the undergrowth growing thicker the further I walked. The sound of rushing water grew louder as I neared the summit of the hill.

A river?

I pushed a large cedar branch out of the way to reveal a small clearing. A sparkling jewel blue stream curved gently out from the thicket of trees on the other side of the clearing. Splashing and spraying as it flowed towards the cliff edge, plummeting down to the pool below.

I stood at the edge, looking out at the stunning view of endless forest, not a single road or house in sight. The midday sun was still glaring above. Shutting my eyes to revel in this blissful moment, I focused on the gentle cool breeze blowing through my chocolate locks and the warm light melting over my sun-deprived body.

Did the sun always feel this good?

I hummed in delight. Then, a familiar scent was swept up from the meadow below, sending my heart into a frenzy.

Shigaraki. No, wait... Tomura. He asked me to call him Tomura now.

My cheeks were warm, the corners of my mouth curling up. "Tomura," I whispered. It was strange hearing his name from my lips. I never heard anyone else other than Kurogiri call him by his first name. I was... honoured.

I knelt at the ragged edge, my hands clasping tightly onto the rocky surface, peering over at the hooded man below. He seemed surprisingly relaxed. The hood hid the top half of his face but the small glimpse of a smile was clear for me to see at this angle.

I'm surprised he's so calm, didn't think he would enjoy being outside very much.

"TOMURA!" I shouted out over the loud crashing waterfall. I chuckled, watching him scramble frantically around trying to figure out where it was that I was calling from.