Chapter Thirty Four

There wasn't a doubt in my mind that this was Tomura—physically. The scent that came from him couldn't be anyone else. Even if someone was to impersonate him, like Himiko's transformation quirk, a person's scent was unique to them only. It couldn't be copied.

But his reaction and the words that he spoke, made me think otherwise. Someone, an imposter, had invaded his mind. No other explanation made sense. This had to be what was happening here.

"Y-you...you're not Tomura," I whispered. The cold chill running through my body squeezed at my throat. I was unsure if it was from the bitter storm or shock. It was becoming a struggle to speak.

"Well, in a sense I am. This body remains to be that of Tomura Shigaraki, but his mind is currently under my control," he confirmed, still standing tall in the same stiff position as before.

"Where's Tomura?" I croaked.

"Resting. He must conserve his energy to heal. I am doing this simply for his safety, nothing else."

His safety?! How could this be for his safety?

Looking past the confident, strong stance he was holding you could clearly see the exhaustion pulling at his wounded body. I gasped sharply at seeing the state of his left hand, many of his fingers were missing. I could only imagine how much pain he had gone through to endure such wounds. Whoever this was that I was conversing with, I couldn't believe that they had his safety in mind. If they did then he wouldn't be in such an impaired state. Battle-scarred and bloodied.

"I want to talk to him, let me speak with Tomura." Stepping closer to him, the muscles in his arms tensed.

"No," the imposter stated impassively—the one-worded response pissed me off somehow. Who were they to talk on behalf of Tomura?

"Let me speak with Tomura, NOW!" I snarled, baring my teeth. For the first time in months my nails elongated, sharp and deadly. My sudden surge in rage had switched on my quirk, energy coursed through my veins. Burning up the chill in a matter of seconds.

And, as quickly as it was for the energy to explode out inside me. It was just as quick for it to disappear. A jolt of pain in my abdomen had me double over, expelling all air from my lungs at the sudden painful sensation. My hands clutched onto the bulge of my stomach, feeling for any strange movements. My breathing was ragged and frantic as anxiety swept over me.

Fuck!

Scaled arms were quick to stabilise me, wrapping around my waist. "I got you," Iguchi hushed, leaning down to get a closer look at what had me hunched over in such a way. The stabbing sensation had already subsided, the steady beat of my child's heartbeat pulsed against my palm. The feeling alone sent relief to flood over me. I turned to the side, meeting the perplexed expression of my friend when he finally noticed the rounded curve to my stomach.

"Mina, are you...?" His eyes slowly widening in realisation. I nodded sheepishly, answering the question before he even had the chance to finish it. Astonishment was written all over his face.

"Interesting." I snapped my head up at Tomura's voice. Unmoved by my earlier emotional outburst. "Seems that my successor has been rather busy in my absence. I assume the child is his?" A questioning tone to his voice.

"Of course, it is," I growled, insulted that he dared to question my loyalty.

"Hmm." He turned away, locks of wet snow-white hair falling over the flesh of the discoloured hand still clamped over his face. "You can never be too sure, especially with how friendly you appear to be with your male comrades."

Iguchi's hand froze against my waist.

"You bastard, how dare you!" I went to lunge at him again, but Iguchi held me back. Crazed growls and snarls of pure rage tore out of my throat, my weak body thrashing within Iguchi's hold.