Workout

RATING: Teen and up (sexual themes but nothing explicit)
SUMMARY: Solby working out in the gym in their apartment complex and let's just say it's not a normal workout. Sam and Kat aren't dating in this.

---------------

Sam had to be so careful with his friendship around Colby.

He never wanted to stray too far from that line, and it was such a fine line indeed.

All those times in the past where they had to queerbait themselves and were asked tons of questions about whether they ever had a "gay" moment with each other and then all those fanedits and fanfiction and fanart... it just felt like a never ending pressure on Sam to make sure he kept it completely "straight" between him and Colby.

It didn't used to be this way, like back in high school and when they first started social media. Neither were scared of being that close to each other. But, as the years went on, that boundary between themselves became thin and flexible.

Then, almost like forbidden fruit, Sam began to fall for his partner-in-crime.

There is a part of Sam that wonders if the gradual falling would have happened if they never went into social media. Or was it just the fact that the said social media was placing boundaries on his and Colby's friendship that made the ability to step over that wall seem so tempting?

His fans and the whole fandom defined exactly what they wanted around the so-called "Solby" ship and Sam stayed away from that, but that temptation to just give into what they said about the pair was also so hard to resist.

Sam doesn't know when he started to fall for Colby.

He just did.

Uncontrollably.

And it was too late to realize what had happened when it did.

If Sam was holding back from being too "close" with Colby before, then Sam was made even more aware of it now. But, Sam had to be careful and not seem too distant or he would lose Colby and that was the very last thing he ever wanted. So, he would do things (like get Colby random gifts out of nowhere or surprise him with food from Tender Greens or Chipotle), but he would also try out small things to test those boundaries because maybe... just maybe... Colby felt the same way Sam did.

Some of these small things consisted of Sam personally trying different colognes or getting a new ring or a shirt or being a bit more touchy with the brunette than Sam usually was. Sometimes, much to the delight of Sam, Colby noticed and would comment with a bright smile or would stay in his spot and let Sam be touchy with him.

Then, there were those others times that Colby would ignore him completely, hang out with Jake or Brennen... Fucking Brennen, Sam cursed in his mind. He was the worse and Sam put up with him for the sake of Colby, though he honestly didn't understand what Colby saw in Brennen.

Not until one evening when Sam was slipping out of his apartment to go to the grocery store when he saw Colby and Brennen entering the brunette's apartment next to Sam's. They were talking in hushed tones to keep quiet in their noisy complex, but Sam heard them well as Colby commented to Brennen:

"dude, nice shirt, are you working out more?"

and

"yeah, man! Up to 60 pounds"

and

"damn, Brennen, remind me not to mess with ya."

Sam hated the small and... dare he say... almost flirtatious laughter that came afterwards from Colby.