13

Ushijima zipped up his team jacket as he got ready to head out of the dorm rooms.

"Run?" The sleepy voice of semi quietly whispered to his captain.

"Mm" he hummed in response as he opened the door walking out softly as to not wake up the others and left.

Walking down the halls his shoes clicked with each step as he pushed open the school doors, the bright sun peeking out brightly from a hill. The sky was hastily painted a dark bright orange with splashes of dark blue that was slowly creeping back. He inhaled deeply and began his morning run up a hill near the gym.

Deep breaths were heard as the cold morning air nipped his cheeks causing them to lightly flush pink. He kept his pace continuing to run down the hill and up near a tree. He ran up to the tree, placing a hand on it's trunk to catch a breather. Ushijima gulped, lifting his head a bit to see a bench a few feet ahead of him with a figure.

Squinting his eyes a bit to see better, he saw a familiar tuft of (h/c) colored hair with a black cap. She was sitting down on the bench, a pair of earphones in her ears as she was staring down at something on the ground.

Walking up to her he placed a hand on the bench. (Y/n) looked up to see a older teen with olive green haired looking down at her.

"Oh Ushijima good morning." She mumbled, taking out one of her earphones.

"Good morning (L/n)." His deep voice rang in the dead of the morning. "Do you mind if I sit here?"

(Y/n) shrugged looking back at the ground, "Sure, I don't own the bench do what you want." He nodded walking to the side and in front of the bench, taking a seat next to her as they watched the sky, the sunrise was almost over, a small breeze blowing their hair in the wind.

"Here." She muttered, looking down Ushijima noticed an earbud being given to him.

"Oh thank you." He said, taking the earbud and placing it in his ear, the pleasant sound emitting from the earbud entering his ear. "What song is this?"

"I don't love you."

"Oh I'm sorry you feel that way (L/n)-san." A slight tug in his heart,

"Wah-" she whipped her head to face him giving him a confused expression, "no no no, it's the song name."

"Oh." He muttered, feeling a bit relieved from her comment. Looking back to the sunrise he smiled gently as the bittersweet song rang in his ears.

But the girl next to him wasn't looking at the sunrise.

Instead she was looking down at the ground, a small frown adorned on her lips.

"What are you looking at (L/n)-san?" He asked, causing the girl to hum in response.

"Please call me (y/n)." She groaned, "it reminds me of my mother."

"Oh. Okay (y/n)." Feeling a bit awkward from the sudden request.

"Look." He turned his head to see that she was pointing at a couple weeds that were seeping through the cracks of the cement block that the bench was on. A few dandelions sprouting next to a tumble of green weeds.

"Weeds?" He questioned as the girl next to him nodded.

"Yeah." She muttered under her breath, "Aren't they pretty?"

He rose a brow. "I suppose they are."

(Y/n) let out a small smile, a sour taste left in the back of her throat, "those dandelions, they're weeds too, but they look like flowers don't they."