eight

APOCALYPSE GROUNDS

"Where's the little Aussie boy?" Sunghoon enquired, barging into Sunoo's bedroom after the successful abduction of Yang Yeri.

To his surprise, Jake Sim was still on their premises while conversing in chit-chat with Ni-ki. Both individuals seemed to be enjoying their game of Uno as Heeseung lay fast asleep.

"Sunghoon look! He's not so bad after all! Jakey here made ramen for Heeseung and I just now!" Ni-ki exclaimed excitedly.

With his eyes wide in shock from the absurd situation, Sunghoon buried his face in hands before yelling a muffled scream. Looking up tiredly, Jake Sim only waved enthusiastically at Sunghoon before smiling warmly.

"Ni-ki, before the Devil comes and blasts us all, you best be packing up those Uno cards," Sunghoon nagged tiredly after ignoring Jake's greeting.

"But Hoon-"

"Hoon? Hi Hoon! I'm Jake," the friendly prince beamed as he extended a hand out towards Sunghoon.

"I don't care Jack," Sunghoon bluntly replied.

Unable to wrap a finger as to why Jake was calm and happy at the moment, Sunghoon ignored the prince's hand. Instead, the taller boy harshly dragged Jake's collar before dragging him out of the room. Motioning with his brooding eyes towards Ni-ki, the young Japanese boy groaned in annoyance before grabbing a pair of white gloves.

"Let's go Jake, Hoonie isn't very open to making new friends," Ni-ki sighed before swinging an arm around his new acquaintance.

"Bye Hoon! Thank you for saving me from the masked men this afternoon!" Jake innocently called out as Ni-ki pushed him out the door.

Scoffing out in disbelief, Sunghoon chuckled at the prince's obliviousness and purity. Something about Jake Sim reminded Sunghoon about how different he was before compared to now. For a moment, his heart was full and he was brought back to the warmth of his first home.

"Sorry Jake, we were the ones who hurt you," Sunghoon muttered under his breath before walking out of the room.

Unfortunately, Apocalypse was his home and all things warm no longer existed. Sunghoon could only trust his boys, his only family. Yet, was having a friend like Jake Sim worth it?

"Papa's not home yet," Heeseung announced tiredly, having just woke up from his deep slumber.

"Where's Riki and Hoon?" Sunoo solemnly asked as he stared at the unconscious girl, laying soundlessly on the leather sofa in the common room.

"We're here!" Ni-ki suddenly bursted through the back door, followed by Sunghoon who looked traumatised enough after the youngster's reckless driving.

As the four boys huddled around the sleeping princess, a million thoughts ran through Sunoo's mind. Although they had abducted the princess, his freedom wasn't guaranteed. He should know better—Papa never kept to his word.

"What's on your mind Sun?" Sunghoon asked the blonde-haired boy who seemed lost in thought.

Knowing the look of uncertainty in their leader's face, the boys knew that there was no way out of Papa's cage. They were wrongfully kidnapped and forced to survive heinously; to kill the good and the bad. The look in Sunoo's face deeming that Papa ruined their lives.

If Apocalypse was home, why did it feel like Hell?

"Pack your bags boys," was all Sunoo ordered them to do.

"What?" Ni-ki asked skeptically as he turned Sunoo's body to face him.

Checking his watch, Sunoo sighed irritably after realising they only had less than two hours before Papa was back. Staring hardly into Ni-ki's eyes, Sunoo only pointed at the princess before smiling unenthusiastically.

"Papa told us that we'd have our freedom as long as we abduct the princess. So we did and thus, freedom granted—but I don't recall him asking us to bring her to him," Sunoo mischievously said as the boys' eyes widened in shock.

"Kim Sunoo, what are you trying to imply?" Ni-ki asked curiously, his eyes expressing eagerness and anticipation.

"It means we're free boys, and I don't intend on leaving my darling in Apocalypse to suffer like we did,"