eighteen

"Sunoo? Are you okay?" Yeri asked frantically as she quickly approached the boy from behind.

"Please leave me alone, I'll o-only end up hurting you and you'll be another life added to my d-death count," Sunoo muttered anxiously, clutching his knees close to his shivering body.

It's been a whole week since Yeri met Sunoo and it came as a shock to her that the cold-hearted boy had his raw feelings laid out in front of her. Squeezing her eyes in deep contemplation, Yeri took a step forward—determined to comfort the melancholy boy.

However, another book was thrown in her direction before a painful cry made by Sunoo resounded within the 4 walls. Dodging the thick and heavy book, Yeri took two steps back. She knew he despised her and she knew better than to chase after those who didn't want to chased.

Yet, her legs carried her body forward and towards the blonde-haired boy. Her arms immediately latched around his torso as she rested her cheek atop his shoulder. Yeri knew Sunoo hated everything about royals, she felt the excruciating anger in his heart. However, she noticed the pitiful sadness that engulfed him.

"Fuck off princess," Sunoo uttered as he tried to pry her arms which were wrapped around his torso.

"Not until you've calmed down," Yeri retorted back, stubbornly resisting against his defiant movements.

"I am fucking calm!" Sunoo exasperated, using the remaining of his strength to push Yeri away before stumbling to his feet.

Regardless of how humiliated she felt at that moment, Yeri got up to her feet before walking towards the irritated boy. For some reason, she had thrown away all her pride just for this boy. It was the fact she barely knew him at all yet felt as though she held significance in his life.

Glancing down at his bruised and scarred hands, Yeri took his hands in hers before exhaling a sharp breath. The only observation she made was that Sunoo only flinched or lashed out whenever she touched a certain part of his body. She didn't know why but she understood vaguely.

"I know I'm the last person you would want to see today, but please understand that I don't mean any harm," Yeri softly spoke as she squeezed his hands reassuringly.

"Everyone means harm Yeri, that's the only reason why I always take the fall for my boys or for anyone I care about even in the slightest bit,"

"You don't have to-"

"I have to, I'm the only one Papa won't kill! He's driving me fucking insane and suddenly you show up! I expected my life to get easier but you just had to be a royal!" Sunoo lashed out harshly before pulling his hands back roughly.

"You're the one who brought me here! You can bring me to Papa for all I fucking care if it makes your life easier," Yeri retorted back, losing her patience as she stared at Sunoo, her eyes on the brink of tears.

Scoffing to himself as tears continued to stream down his face, Sunoo brushed his hair back in frustration before looking at the princess through red eyes. He didn't hate her because she was a royal, that wasn't the exact reason at all.

He hated her because she made him feel feelings he thought was unnecessary— hated her because he saw himself in her. Someone whom everyone thought was the strongest and coldest was someone battling their own demons. Sunoo saw that in Yang Yeri—he was glad she was there.

The only reason he held back from her was because everyone he ever loved and cared about died or got hurt.

"Get out of my room," Sunoo said finally, turning his back on Yeri before picking up his books again.

"You're an asshole," Yeri uttered under her breath, finally allowing a tear to escape before storming out of the room.

Scurrying quickly away from the door, Ni-ki held back his laughter despite knowing it was a serious matter. However, the young boy also knew that Yeri had seen Sunoo's vulnerable side just like how the rest of the boys saw him.

"Ah, lover's quarrel," Ni-ki thought to himself before waving excitedly at Yeri.

"I hate him," Yeri muttered angrily as she sat down beside Ni-ki, grabbing a handful of gummy worms before shoving it in her mouth.

"After that ordeal, he'll be nicer to you! Don't sweat it shortie," Ni-ki beamed before finally playing the movie.

Rolling her eyes at the younger boy's enthusiasm, Yeri hugged a pillow close to her as she munched sadly on her gummy worms. She's been reminded everyday that she should be thankful or blessed, she's been taught how to succumb to situations where she shouldn't be thankful.

Yet why did it feel like she had to give something in return? As though she had debts to pay or a long-term commitment to whoever. The royals treated her that way, and for some reason she was surprised the rest of the world did the same.