twenty-three

That day, what was expected to only be an hour's spending in the mall turned out to be 6 hours instead. From buying Yeri's necessities to café hopping within the mall, the pair didn't account for the time spent together. It was everything but a bad time. Just two normal teenagers making the most out of their time together.

"I wonder where you get your money from," Yeri thought aloud as she sipped on her milk tea.

"The typical boring stock market investments. Apocalypse has more business partners in the Underworld than you know of. But since I'm no longer a part of them, I stole Papa's money instead," Sunoo smirked as he looked up from his book.

Sitting across each other in a random book café, Yeri nodded her head approvingly before giggling at Sunoo's mischievous ways. Hiding behind her own book, Yeri peeked her head out only to find Sunoo doing the same.

Giggling in response, Yeri propped her elbows on the table before resting her chin against her right palm. Putting his book down, Sunoo mimicked her pose, leaning himself against the table until he was face-to-face with Yeri.

"Why didn't you come back to the palace? You're our King, you could lead this country with that smart brain of yours," Yeri asked curiously.

"Why would I go back to a society that never wanted me as King in the first place? My cousin died and I was left at the mercy of a monster. Then at the hands of a monster, a naive soul like me turned into an even bigger monster," Sunoo voiced out bitterly.

Although his tone dripped with resentment and disgust for his thoughts, his honey-brown eyes held serenity while gazing at Yeri. She was looking at him—she was trying to understand him.

"What did they do to you?" Yeri uttered sadly as she brushed his bangs that covered his eyes.

If only Yeri hadn't asked that next question, his gentle eyes would've continued to hold its fixated gaze on Yeri—he wouldn't have to face his pitiful reality. He wouldn't have to be reminded of his depressing life.

"I'd only tell you everything if you accepted my friendship remember? It's getting late, we should head back. Your highnesses are probably waiting for you," Sunoo responded quickly as he looked away from Yeri.

"Wait-"

Not wanting to lash out at her in public, Sunoo grabbed Yeri's hand before briskly walking out of the café. With his back facing her, Sunoo ignored Yeri's pleas as his heart raced anxiously once again. In a state of despair and anger, hot tears streamed down his cheeks causing his mask to dampen.

His vision was blurry due to his tears and all he could think of was heading straight back to the safety of his car. Unbeknownst to him that he was gripping Yeri's hand rather tightly, catching the girl by surprise.

"Sunoo!" Yeri called out again as they finally reached the parking lot.

Stopping before his car, Yeri pulled her hand out of his grasp. Just when she was about to start arguing against his sudden mood swing, she was caught off guard by the mellow sound of sniffles. Going her way to stand in front of Sunoo, Yeri's heart only ached as soon as she found him covering his face with his hands.

It was happening to him again. He was suppressing his cries for help—shying away from comfort.

Although she was afraid to take one step forward, Yeri proceeded to embrace the taller boy in her arms. This time, she fought back against his resistance, holding him tight as she stroked the back of his head gently; and finally, Kim Sunoo gave in. His face buried in the crook of her shoulder as he wept.

Stuck in the stillness of it all, two lonely souls confided in each other; one's salvation and one's epiphany.

???

"Thank you for calming me down. I'm sorry you had to see me like that again," Sunoo uttered as they duo finally reached home again.

Stopping before the apartment door, Yeri smiled softly at the puffy-faced boy before extending out her pinky finger.

"What are friends for, darling?" Yeri beamed teasingly, nodding her head towards her pinky.

"I can't believe this," Sunoo shook his head in amusement as he linked his pinky with Yeri's.

"Just like how you promised to protect me from Papa, I promise you that I'll protect you from the world,"

With a tender smile plastered on his face, Sunoo nodded in agreement before grabbing the numerous shopping bags Yeri carried.

"The passcode is 301120," Sunoo whispered as he motioned towards the padlock.

"You trust me with the passcode?!" Yeri asked in surprise after successfully unlocking the apartment door.

Walking backwards into the house, Yeri's wiggled her eyebrows at Sunoo, who only scoffed at the princess's burst of enthusiasm.

"I change the passcode every week using the same numbers. Don't get too ahead of yourself darling," Sunoo snickered before closing the door behind him.

"Jay! Riki!" Yeri suddenly screamed, catching Sunoo by surprise.

Running towards Yeri, Sunoo cursed under his breath the moment he took sight of the two unconscious boys on the floor. Blood ran down the sides of their temples while laying helplessly. Beside them was Heeseung, who was knocked out cold with fresh bruises on his face.

"Ni-ki, Heeseung.." Sunoo trailed off anxiously as he propped up both their bodies against the wall.

"Y-Yeri?" A hoarse voice choked out.

"Oh my god, Jay you're okay!" Yeri tearfully cried out as she sat the injured boy beside Heeseung.

Creasing his brows in confusion, Sunoo felt his blood boil before quickly checking the rest of the apartment's rooms. It was Papa's doing for sure; at least that's what Sunoo thought.