nineteen

"Ni-ki get your ass up!" A voice yelled frantically causing both Ni-ki and Yeri to stir awake.

Getting up groggily, Yeri opened one eye tiredly before finally realising the urgency of the situation. There, struggling at the front door, was Sunghoon holding up an unconscious Heeseung and a bloodied Jake Sim. Shooting Ni-ki a panicked look, she only groaned in frustration to see the younger boy still slumbering away.

"What happened?" Yeri asked worriedly before quickly supporting Jake in her arms.

"Jake got shot in the shoulder and Heeseung is mildly concussed?" Sunghoon responded unsurely, smiling weirdly to himself despite internally panicking.

"Mildly concussed?! He's unconscious Sungwon!" Yeri exclaimed as she quickly sat Jake down on a chair.

"For the record I'm Sunghoon?! What the fuck am I supposed to do then princess?!" Sunghoon snapped back stressfully as he lay Heeseung on the carpeted floor.

"Holy shit," Ni-ki mumbled in disbelief at the chaotic scene unfolding before him.

"Do fucking CPR you penguin! Riki, get your ass up and get me a med kit or something!" Yeri ordered both Sunghoon and Ni-ki, both stuck in a daze as they scrambled around.

As Yeri partially tore off Jake's black velvet blazer, she internally thanked herself for paying attention to the first aid courses taught to her—though the current situation seemed to be more than what she was prepared for.

"Yang Jungwon is that you?" Jake drowsily asked, the effect of the immense pain and blood loss had made his mind hazy.

"No Jake, it's Yang Yeri. It's been a while since I last saw you," Yeri responded kindly before shooting Ni-ki an urgent look.

"Oh heyyyy Yeri, could you m-maybe get the bullet out of my shoulder?" Jake pleaded in a raspy voice, his low-pain tolerance getting the best of his immunity.

Before Yeri could respond, a sudden gasp came from behind her. Snapping her head to the sound of raspy breathing, it was a relief that there was one less person to worry about. Lee Heeseung was fortunately, alive and well. Raising a thumbs up towards Sunghoon, the older boy lazily smiled at Yeri before finally throwing her the much needed med kit.

"Riki you dumbass! It was right next to Sunghoon! Why are you in the kitchen?!" Yeri scolded Ni-ki, who was currently rummaging through the kitchen cupboards.

"I wanted to cook-"

"Drop the bungeoppang pan right now and help me!"

"Were you able to shoot him?" Ni-ki asked as he sadly munched on the bungeoppang crumbs Yeri left for him to eat.

Being of absolutely no help to her, Yeri shot a deathly glare at Ni-ki while monitoring Jake who lay fast asleep on the sofa. Not only did the younger boy eat all her gummy bears, but the fact he prioritised food instead of aiding his friend (s).

"Unfortunately not. I shot EJ's leg though, seemed like Papa really brainwashed most of our friends," Sunghoon sighed in disappointment before glancing at Yeri, who was busy applying ointment to Heeseung's bruised face.

"That's unfortunate," Yeri muttered under her breath, causing Sunghoon to giggle in response.

"By the way, I never pegged you as a princess who knew how to treat ugly wounds. Thank you for saving him," Sunghoon thought aloud, eyeing Jake briefly as he bowed his head towards Yeri.

"Well, if you're living in a palace with higher-ups abusing you, your brother and best friend on the daily, general knowledge on first aid comes in handy," Yeri muttered thoughtlessly, reminded at the fact that Jungwon and Jay were left alone at the palace.

The four boys in the living room furrowed their brows in confusion, taking a moment to fathom Yeri's confession. Looking at her with empathetic eyes, it seemed like they understood what the princess meant very well.

"We understand you know?" Sunghoon spoke after a while, smiling reassuringly at Yeri.

Yeri glanced up at Sunghoon sadly, returning a small smile before finally wrapping up in aiding Heeseung.

"Thanks Yeri," Heeseung smiled cheerfully after Yeri had finished applying ointment to his cuts and bruises.

"You guys should head to sleep, it's been a long day. I'll sleep here in the living room to monitor Jake," Yeri sighed as she shooed away the three boys.

"You can take my room Ri! I was of no help today anyways heh," Ni-ki offered, though he regretted offering after realising he would have to give up his bed.

Raising a brow at Ni-ki, Yeri chuckled in response before pushing them towards their rooms. Ease finally settling in her heart towards Sunghoon, Ni-ki and Heeseung; as though they had finally triggered her soft spot.

As the three boys continued pestering Yeri to take either of their rooms, the princess ignored them before throwing herself on the floor. For some reason, she was drained. From a restless sleep to aiding a gunshot wound, to arguing again with Kim Sunoo, Yeri was tired.

Before she could wave off the pestering boys again, the princess succumbed to her fatigue and dozed off against the cold floor.