Chapter 1: Unexpected Guest

You're arriving back home from work, to your small apartment downtown.  Listening to music through your earphones, you unlock the apartment door, and, singing quietly to the music in your ears, you throw your bag onto the dining table.

"Hey."  You jump, as a deep but amused voice pulls you from the zone you were in.

Spinning quickly, your eyes settle on Tony Stark, sat at your coffee table, drinking tea on your sofa.

"Jesus Christ Tony!"  You exclaim, hand on your chest as you try to calm your erratic breaths.  "How the hell did you get in here?  Actually, don't answer that, I know what you're like!  What exactly are you doing here?! And what the hell happened to your eye?!"

You take in Tony's appearance once more, noticing one of his eyes is bruised and slightly swollen.

Tony isn't phased by your many questions.

"I just came to say hi!  And my eyes are fine, look!"  

You watch as he does some weird blinking thing with both eyes individually, and you hold back a smile, favouring to roll your eyes instead.

"Tony."  You say with a sigh.  "You never come to just say hi.  And I'm not stupid, I know why you're here.  I've said no before, nothing has changed.  I'm fine doing what I'm doing, living a normal life.  No one knows about my 'powers' except you, and I'm keeping it that way."

Tony smiles.

"As usual, your ability to see straight through me is admirable."  He says.  "And I know you said no, all the other times I've asked, but I really think you'd enjoy working with us!  How about, just for me, you have a trial period with us....?"

You think carefully before answering.

"Jesus Tony I don't know.  If I say yes-if I agree to give it a go and trial run it, and then I hate it and still want to come back to my normal life here...You'll let me go?  You'll let me walk away and never ask me to do this again?"

"Absolutely."  Tony agrees without pausing.  He gives you a cheeky grin before taking a bite of the biscuit he's helped himself to.

"Don't smile at me like that Stark.  You're a total pain in my a*s, you know that right?  Right.  Let me pack some things and make some calls as I'm going to be away for a bit.  I'd say wait here and make yourself at home....but it would appear you already have."

Tony laughs, before taking another sip of his tea and leaning back against the cushions.  

"I'll wait right here."  He says smiling.

"You do that," you reply.  "And Tony? Don't make me regret this."