Chapter 38: Hope

In a ranch in the middle of the countryside, Tony stands on his porch, looking out at his peaceful surroundings.   In the distance he starts to hear the roaring of a vehicle as it approaches.  Sighing, he braces himself to receive the guests he knew would eventually darken his doorstep.

The car pulls on the dirt driveway, and as predicted, Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff step out of the vehicle.

Natasha leans against the car door, and makes eye contact with Steve, before nodding her head and urging him to move towards Tony's home.  They both move along the rough pathway, and smile at Tony.

"Why are you both here?"  Tony asks, even though they all know whey they're there.

"We're here because we need to get them all back Tony."  Steve replies.

Tony looks down at the floor so he doesn't have to make eye contact with his visitors.

"You can help us..."  Steve continues.  "You out of everyone....."

Tony shakes his head.  "You know I can't.  I spent so long looking.  There's no way-it's over.  It has been for a while, you know that Cap."

Natasha looks down at the floor before speaking.  "You could try...."  She murmurs.  "There must be something else you can do Tony....."

"Don't do that!"  Tony says loudly, putting his hand up to stop the conversation.  

Natasha looks away, emotion clawing at her throat.

"Don't tell me I can do something else."  Tony says, calmer this time.  "I can't...."

The silence between the trio stretches for seconds, before Tony speaks once more.

"Now, if there's nothing else..."  He nods, hinting towards the exit off of his porch.  "It's over."  He says, looking at both Steve and Natasha.

Nodding their understanding, they both turn and walk away from their last hope.  As they walk, Natasha turns to speak to Steve.

"Now what?"  She says in a hushed tone.

"Now, we wait."  Steve replies, as they approach the car.  "It's not over."