Chapter 12: Steve's Visit

A week has gone by since the explosion and you've been home for a little over a day.  You're watching TV in bed, when you hear footsteps coming towards your open bedroom door.
Switching the TV onto mute, you look up to see Steve standing against the doorframe, a small smile on his face.

"Hey."  He says.

"Hey yourself.  How are you Steve?"  You ask, gesturing to invite him to take a seat.

He pushes himself off of the frame, and slowly makes his way into your room.

"How am I?!  I'm pretty certain it should be me asking you that?!"  He says, shaking his head a little.  "So?  How are you feeling?"

"Yeah fine."  You reply without thinking.

"Well, that's clearly a lie."  He states, sitting down next to you on the bed.

"Fine!"  You reply.  "I hurt.  All over my entire body.  Happy now Rogers?"

He sighs and shakes his head before responding.

"Well-I've heard everyone has been taking turns to come and visit and look after you!  That's something right?!"

The laugh comes out of your mouth before you have chance to think about it.  

"Well, not everyone!"  You say, leading the conversation towards the proverbial elephant in the room.

Steve looks at you sternly.

"He didn't leave your side at the hospital you know...?"

Your breath catches in your throat.

"Wait, what?!"

"Yep." He continues.  "Maybe it's time for you two to actually sit down and talk."

You shake your head before replying.

"No."  You say simply.

Steve knows not to continue with the conversation any further-instead making small talk with you about the explosion and the efforts Tony is going to, to find the people responsible.
After a beat, he decides to leave, not before squeezing your shoulder and kissing the top of your head.

Your eyes mist over as you watch your friend leave the room-you know you were harsh during the conversation about Bucky, but you're just not ready to have that chat with anyone right now-let alone him.

Settling back down against your pillows as he leaves, you sigh to yourself, then shake the thoughts threatening to take over your mind, and go back to watching the TV.