Chapter 37: Three Years Later

Three years have passed since Thanos wiped out half of the world.

On a deserted part of land, in front of a burning bonfire, sits James Barnes-Bucky to his friends.  His hair, that he once cut to impress a girl in his team, has now grown back to shoulder-length, and it sits, limply around his face.

As the flames lick at his feet, and the heat warms his skin but not his heart, he looks up to see a familiar face.

"You're still grieving her aren't you?"  Ayo says calmly, as she walks through the smoke towards Bucky.

He doesn't reply, instead, choosing to look back into the sparks floating around the flames.

"You need to go back...."  Ayo continues.

This time Bucky replies.

"I can't...."  He says quietly, for fear of his throat being overcome with unshed tears.

"Why?!"  Ayo asks.

"She's....." Bucky tries to reply, but he still cannot bring himself to say the words.

Ayo stands for a moment, taking in the emotion surrounding her and her friend.  He came to her and the rest of the Dora Milaje during a time of great need, and she knows exactly why he's not returned to the returning members of the team.

Bucky looks up at her, tears now threatening to spill over.  As he locks eyes with Ayo, she nods her understanding.

"You cannot go back because she is not there...."  Ayo states.

Just hearing the words that he had failed to vocalise is enough to push James over the edge.  Doubling over in the seated position he is in, his violent sobs are echoed around the small holding he has kept himself in since arriving in Wakanda.

Ayo doesn't react-simply remaining calm and collected.  

"Hmmmm...."  She says briefly, knowing that Bucky knows exactly what she is about to say.

He stands quickly, rubbing his hands down the front of his trousers, and taking a large shaky breath.

"I know...."  He breathes out.  "I know, I have to go back."