Chapter 28: Finding Us

You call Bucky as you run out of the compound.

"Hey."  He says as he answers.

"Hey yourself."  You reply.  "I'm done here.  You wanna come get me?!"

Soon after you disconnect the call, you hear the roar of an engine growing louder as it approaches you.  Bucky, smiling sexily, pulls up alongside you on his motorbike, and hands you a helmet.  You place it on your head, and climb on behind him.  Your hands shake as you relish in the close proximity you are not both at, and you tighten your hold around him as he revs the engine and pulls back out into the road.

As the journey continues, you feel the breeze through your helmet and hair.  You giggle into Bucky's back and feel him laugh too.

"We should always travel like this....ALWAYS!!"  You shout loudly over the roar of the engine and the whistle of the wind. 

Bucky smiles as  he hears the happiness in your voice, and pulls down a quiet side road, overlooking the sea, as the sun begins to set.

Both of you get off the motorbike and sit on the side of the water, watching the sun set.

Bucky breaks the silence first.

"I'm gonna put this out there now....I may or may not have had a small conversation with Tony today...."

Your stomach flips.

"I'm going to batter that man when I see him next!  What did he say then....?"

"You know what he said....."  He replies, looking at you.

You look down at the floor before speaking.

"Errrm....yeah I think I probably do."  You reply, your voice trailing off.  A few seconds pass before you realise nothing else is going to be said, and clear your throat.

"I...errrr.....shall we head back now?"

Bucky nods before standing, and walking back to the motorbike, his hand on the lower part of your back.

The journey back is not as exciting as it was before.  Your hands are still entwined around Bucky's middle, but you're resting your face on his back, with your eyes closed, rather than taking in your surroundings.  That conversation did not go how you thought it would.

Bucky pulls up outside the building, and you step off the motorbike, your hands going to the helmet.  As you go to pull it off, you realise your hair is stuck in part of it.

"Oh sh*t!"  You curse.  "I appear to be stuck in your helmet-help!"

You hear him laugh gently, before his hands feel around the back of your head, to release the hair that has got trapped.  He lifts it off, before placing it behind him for a second.

"Thanks."  You say.  "I bet my hair is a right state now though, right?!"

He smiles while nodding wordlessly. 

"Cheers Buck!" You say laughing.  "You ok?  You seemed real quiet once I'd suggested we return home?"

"Yeah, I'm ok."  He replies.  "To be honest, a lot of the journey back was me deliberating doing this....."

Before you can question what he means, he grabs your face and pulls you close to him.  His lips find yours and he kisses you with fervor. 

Breathlessly you pull away, smiling at his goofy expression.

"You should never have deliberated that Barnes."  You tell him.  "In future, if you are struggling to make a decision like that, I'm happy to help."

He nods and looks around for a second before looking back at you seriously.

"Well....You are in love with me after all...."

Your breath hitches in your throat.

"Damn Tony!  Right....that's my cue to leave.  You gonna sit there all night?"  You ask as you walk slowly away from him.

He doesn't reply, just watches you walk away before pointing at you and waving.  You laugh and turn back to fully face him.

"James?"  You say smiling.   "Come on."

He jumps off the bike quicker than you expect, and chases you inside.