Chapter 3: We Need You

Racing outside, your heartbeat pounding in your ears, you take a moment to breathe in some much needed air.  You turn abruptly when you hear hurried footsteps behind you.  You see Tony looking worried, and you shake your head as he approaches.

"Please wait."  He says, holding a hand up.

"Why wouldn't you have told me he was going to be part of this Tony?"  You say, still struggling to calm your anger.

Tony sighs.

"Would you have come if I had?"  He asks.

"That is not the point and you know it.  I'd like to have been given all of the information at least Tony!"

"I NEEDED YOU!" Tony shouts.  "I couldn't think of another way!"

"And the only way to get me here, was by lying to me?  I thought we were friends Tony!"  You reply, emotion creeping into your voice.  "This mission must be really important for you to risk our friendship!"

Tony looks at the ground briefly before looking back up and replying.

"It is bad...." he says more quietly now. "It's really bad."

Your breath hitches in your throat.

"Jesus Tony.  I just can't see how this will work given our history."

"I'm so sorry, I should've told you he would be here.  I was desperate.  Still am.  So I'm begging you, please stay.  The team needs you.  I need you....."

You take another breath and go to speak but are interrupted by a voice behind you.

"Can I cut in Tony?"  Bucky says in his low voice.

You make eyes with Tony to say no, but he ignores you.

"Errrrmmm.....yup!"  He says, and quickly walks off, leaving you scowling with your back to Bucky.

You spin around, and look him in the eyes for the first time in many years.

"I don't want to talk to you Bucky!"  You say, moving to one side to get around him.  

He steps in your way, before making eye contact once more.

"You need to stop this.  There's a reason we're both here.  Tony clearly needs us.  We don't have to like it, hell, we don't even have to talk.  But we need to help him."

"We don't have to talk? GREAT!  Because I don't want to, and I don't like that you're here at all.  But I'm going to stay-FOR TONY.  You just need to stay away from me!"

"No problem Doll."  Bucky says with a smile.

"And stop calling me that!  We're not back in the 40's now!"

Bucky stiffens at your words and you're sure you see sadness in his eyes, before he's back to smirking.

"We're not, you're right."  He says.  "But you haven't changed a bit."

"That's right," you say with a huff.  "I could still kick your a*s just like I did back then."

"I bet you could...."  Bucky says as he turns and walks back into the compound.  "I bet you could..."