Chapter 39: Broken

In a small room, turned into a makeshift office in the once bustling compound, Natasha sits alone with her thoughts.  With tears falling down her face, she puts her face into her hands, struggling to catch her breath enough to stop the emotion.  She doesn't hear the footsteps making their way towards the room.

"Hey."  Steve says, startling her.

She looks over at him and gives him a sad smile.

"I guess you're not OK?"  He asks, knowing the answer.

"Nope."  She replies.  "But I think that's justified."

"Totally justified Nat."  Steve replies.

"Good to know."  Nat says quietly in reply.

Steve begins to make his way over to where Nat is sitting, and smiles as he approaches.

"Right....let's talk this out."  He says as he sits opposite her.  Taking a breath and choosing his words carefully before he speaks he looks up at her.  "I know you don't think you have the words to explain right now, but what's wrong?"  

Nat shakes her head unable to get through the lump that has taken up permanent residence in her throat.

"C'mon..."  Steve tries again.  "Nat?"

"I just don't see the point Steve."  Natasha finally replies.

"In talking to me?!"  Steve jokes.

Nat shakes her head slightly.

"No, in talking about them."  She admits.  "All of them.....I can't....I can't change any of it Steve."

Steve has no response this time, he just looks down slightly so he doesn't have to make eye contact with Natasha.

"I can't....I just...."  Natasha tries to explain.  "I just miss them all so much."

Steve raises his head to meet his friend's eyes.

"We're going to get them back Nat."  He says confidently.

"Yeah, OK...."  Nat replies, not believing the words coming out of her own mouth.  "We will see...."