Chapter 40: There Is A Way

Back at Tony's ranch, he's doing dishes, lost in thought.  Drying his hands, he looks around the room, suddenly understanding something he'd been trying to work out for a while.

Rushing to the small lab room he'd set up, he starts to fire up images of the stones and the parts of the universe that they were taken by Thanos before he completed his gauntlet.  As he continues to research the idea that has come to him, minutes turn into hours.  Suddenly, he stops, staring ahead of him.  Sitting down in the chair behind him, he puts his head into his hands, every part of him shaking in anticipation of what he's just found.  He knows exactly who he needs to go and see.  Saving everything he has and unlocking a large cupboard, he pulls out the artefact he took from a member of his team at the end of Thanos' mission.  Running out of his house, he pulls off the tarpaulin draped over the car he covered when he first arrived.  It naturally starts first time, and he speeds across the dirt, in search of the only man he knows will welcome this new information.

Early next morning, at Avengers headquarters, Steve Rogers is walking through the building, trying to determine what he can hear in the distance.  Stepping outside, the roar of an engine begins to come closer, showing no signs of slowing.
Frowning, it becomes clear exactly who is behind the wheel of this particular vehicle-Tony.

He pulls the car up sharply in front of Steve, and looks up at him through the already open window.

"How's America's Ass?  Still keeping that thing in shape?"  Tony jokes.

Steve laughs a little and shakes his head.

"Very funny..."  He replies.  "I'm trying...."

"Oh you're trying alright!"  Tony says, glancing down at Steve's rear as a joke as he exits his car.  Standing in front of Steve, Tony looks serious once more.

"I have something of yours."  He says.

Steve immediately knows what it is-his shield.  Tony took it from him the day they parted ways-Tony citing that Steve didn't deserve the shield, or his place in the Avengers.

"Before I give it to you, I want you to know, I genuinely didn't think there was a way to fix this Cap."  Tony says sadly.  "And now...there is.  So you'll be needing this back."

Steve follows Tony as he goes to the back of his car.  Opening the boot, he pulls out Steve's shield, in exactly the same condition as when he last held it.

Passing it over to Steve, Tony smirks.

"Better call Barnes...."  He says smiling.  "We're getting his girl back!"