Chapter 33: It's Over

You and Bucky head to your room in silence.  You know he's mad and are dreading this conversation.

He stands in front of you, his hands running up and down your arms.  His breaths are quick and shallow, and he can't make eye contact with you.

"Jesus Buck, what's wrong?!"  You ask him worried.

"Don't go."  He replies still breathless.

Your face falls.  You knew he wasn't happy with the situation, but to ask you not to go, when the world is relying on the team is selfish.

"Oh don't start Buck!  I'm going! End of!"  You reply.

His hands come away from your arms and drop down at his side.  He stares at you, mouth open in shock.

"You're shocked?!  What, shocked I'd put this mission ahead of our weird relationship?!"

"Weird relationship?!"  He asks, getting angrier by the second.  "So our relationship doesn't mean enough for you to question whether this is the right decision or not?!"

"This is the right decision FOR THE WORLD James!"

He calms down a little.  "I just want you to think about it more."  He says.

You walk slowly over to the sofa you have across from your bed.

"I have thought about it James....."  You say quietly.

He comes over to you, and bends so he's closer to you.

"You've thought about the mission yeah."  He says.  "But what about me?  Do I not count? Huh?!  I thought we had something special-something solid that we could build on!  But you can't even give me that no?"

Your anger boils over.

"SOMETHING SOLID AND SPECIAL?!  YOU CAN'T EVEN TELL ME YOU LOVE ME JAMES!"

"THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT AND YOU KNOW IT!"  He replies, matching your anger.  "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!  ARE YOU SO F**KING INSECURE THAT YOU NEED TO HEAR THREE STUPID WORDS TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER?!"

"Nice....real nice James."  You sit for a second before continuing.  "You know what?  I'm done.  I'm going on this mission, and you can take the moral high ground and not take part.  Sit here, sulk-I don't care anymore.  I'm done!  See ya."

You stand and walk out of your own bedroom, leaving Bucky behind.

He puts his head in his hands, and sits back on the sofa, breathing heavily in anger, while simultaneously feeling his heart break into a thousand pieces.