Part 1: Chapter Six: Vada

Alexio's deep, brassy voice echoed softly around the gallery. Delicate swirly shapes were carved into the smooth limestone pillows surrounding the white washed courtyard. The decorative filigree ascended up and across the balcony's edge where Vada stood silent. Below her, in the center of the circular galleria, was a fountain. In the middle of the oval pool was a marble statue of a naked woman. She was Areti, the goddess of virtue. Tall and curvaceous she held out her arm as if beckoning an on looker to join her. Her other velvet hand was delicately poised where her legs came together. Gray veins from the marble covered her body. In the pool around her the water broke the surface with gentle rippling. The sound of the fountain fell into the background. Listening from where she was poised, Vada could clearly hear her cousin and his friends below. Directly beneath her, the group reclined across the chaise lounge that sat there. Vada was familiar with them all. These friends of Alexio's had been carefully chosen by her and her father. Young men whose father's weren't close to the crown and desperate to be. Those that where happy to earn the Prince's uncles favors. Still Vada made it a practice to keep a close eye on them, lest Alexio be encouraged down the wrong path.

"I'm hungry." Grumbled Demas. A common complaint for the boy. Demas was a husky fifteen year old, who already displayed a propensity to indulge himself in sweet foods and strong red wine.

"You're not hungry, you fat whore-son, you're bored." Alexio snapped.

Nikkos, the third member of their trio, laughed ruefully at his friend's expense.

"I could still eat." Demas replied, deflecting the verbal attack. His companions bellowed in laughter.

Alexio sighed as his laughter subsided, "Well, I'm bored."

"What do you want to do?" Nikkos asked.

There was a moment of silence then another burst of laughter from Nikkos followed by Alexio. Demas did not join in.

"Where is Eavan?" Nikkos asked.

Vada wondered the same thing.

"Why do you want to know?" Alexio demanded.

"No reason."

"Vada is probably around here somewhere." Alexio suggested, his anger immediately waning.

Nikkos snorted, "Of course, she is."

Alexio laughed, "she has nothing better to do."

Vada stiffened in her hiding place as anger welled in her core.

"I like Eavan better." Demas piped up.

"Me to." Confirmed Nikkos.

Alexio chuckled, "Oh the things I could tell you." He mused.

"Tell us what?" his companions said in unison.

"I can't. Eavan told me not to tell." Alexio insisted.

The other two groaned and complained, begging their prince to tell them.

"Fine! Fine!" Alexio finally agreed laughing. "But you can't tell anyone."

His companions agreed fervently.

"The other day, when you two slept in and I had breakfast with Eavan?" Alexio whispered.

Vada strained to hear.

"Yes." They said together.

"I brushed against her breasts. You know, to see if I could." Alexio paused, "Then she grabbed my hand and shoved it down her dress."