Part 3: Chapter Three: Samara

Wet winds of spring blew off the harbor drenching the docks and everyone there. Standing amongst their trunks, Nadia was dressed in her mistresses fine clothes, while Samara stood beside in modest servants attire. It was simply for believable that an Ashkhasi would have a slave than an Islander a servant.

"Gods." Nadia swore, pulling the floral patterned hood farther over her face.

"Will you relax? You're drawing attention." Samara snipped.

"We are already drawing attention." Nadia retorted with a shake of her head. "This is a bad plan."

"So you keep saying."

"The Duthaichi witch said so. She read it in the bones." Nadia insisted.

"Did her bones give another plan?"

"No."

"Then this is what we are doing."

"We're going to get caught." Nadia said straightening up, trying to stand as Samara had showed her.

"If you stop acting like you're doing something wrong, we won't." Samara pointed out. "Hiding in plan sight is the only way we can take all the money with us. And I'm not leaving it behind. I worked too hard for it."

"You have to admit, Sam, it's a bad season to be traveling in."

Samara nodded, "Yes, I'll admit that. But it is now or never."

Nadia sighed.

"Look. The Captain looks nice enough." Samara pointed out as he approached.

For the most part, he did. He was a distinguished looking older man. His clothes, while not new or expensive, where well kept and clean. He even smiled politely to the women as he approached. "Good morning. Madams. I am Captain Talfryn of the ship Wayfare. Mistress Bethan, I presume?" he asked turning to Nadia.

Nadia nodded, thrusting her papers at him. "We agreed to one cabin with two beds for sixty gold. To be paid when I and my maid are safely delivered to Jadida."

The Captain chuckled, "Yes, of course." He gestured to a fierce looking man to his left. The shorter man was weathered from years at sea, tan and harsh looking. He stared brazenly at Nadia has he hoisted a trunk onto his shoulder. Samara frowned at him suspiciously as Nadia kept her eyes on the ground. "This is Rees my Bosun. If you'll come this way, I'll escort you to the ship." The Captain said, taking the papers Nadia still held out to him.

The large ships, massive crimson sails towered high above them as they crossed the gang plank. The ships three decks were all lacquered black with gold trim. It was clean and well kept like its Captain. Samara felt reassured to see it. Sixty gold pieces well spent.

The sailors paused to salute their Captain as he walked by. He responded to each with a nod. Captain Talfryn lead them to a large, square hatch door that was held open by rope. Down the hole was a set of steep stairs.

"Ladies first." The Captain said placing a hand on the base of Nadia's back..

Nadia paused suddenly apprehensive. Samara eyed him harshly. The Captain was growing familiar by the second.

"Nothing will bite you, I promise." He patronized.

Samara gave him a look of severity as Nadia climbed down into the hole first. At the bottom was a narrow passage lined with doors.

"Its cabin number four." Captain Talfryn called down. "Rees will bring your things down momentarily."

The cabin was tiny with the slender beds stacked one above the other. A good use of space.