Part 2: Chapter Three: Samara

Samara huffed as she strained against the weight of the water bucket. This was her seventeenth trip to the well. Sweat soaked through her bodice as water splashed drenching her skirt. Causing the bright yellow green dress to hang limp and heavy from her figure. This was the last bath she needed to prepare. Normally Nadia was here to help, but with the four unexpected guests that had arrived last night, she had to make a trip to the market for food.

'Last one.' she assured herself as she shuffled from the frozen garden through the bright teal kitchen door.

The traditional two story brick was typical of Shadow Square; or simply the Shadow as its residents called it. It was named as such because the quiet neighborhood of elite mistress and second class courtiers was situated next to the Wren castle Keep, to the west, in it's shadow. It was a small neighborhood, just shy of twenty homes. All traditional and all brick. There were varying degrees of luxuries that houses offered. For example, not all had a private well however, Samara's  did.

Trudging in the kitchen, Samara knocked the door behind her closed with her hip. She dumped her pal into the round copper tub that rested on the slate floor in the middle of the room. Using the corner of her apron to protect her hand, she took a copper kettle from the hearth and added it's boiling contents to the tub.

"Who's next?" she called into the next room.

A girl shuffled, hesitantly into the doorway. The clothes she wore were nothing but a patchwork of dirty rags sewn together into a make-shift dress. It hung loosely off her emaciated body.

"What is your name?" Samara asked her.

The girl made no reply. She just eyed Samara suspiciously as she slowly began to discard the rags.

"I'll fetch something for you to wear." Samara said, setting a clean linen square and a bar of lye on the floor next to the tub. "The lye may sting but you have to use it. When I come back I'll check you for lice."

Samara then ascended the back staircase, the runaway girl disappearing from view. Her bedroom was the most decorated room in the house. Vibrant teal curtains hanging against the exposed red brick framing the balcony. The balcony that overlooked the private garden. The massive bed with its matching teal velvets dominated most of the room. From the back of a tall mahogany wardrobe, Samara pulled out an old faded pink dress. The costume of a Mynyth servant. Knowing it would be too large on the skinny girl, Samara grabbed a leather belt as well. Before turning to leave, she also tucked a pair of plain shoes and stockings under her arm. Hopefully the shoes would fit. Stopping, suddenly, Samara looked down. The wet dress was starting to freeze and and make her shiver, so she paused to change.

Samara owned a large selection and variety of clothes. A privilege of having a royal patron. Her dresses range from popular Daearian fashion to custom made traditional outfits of her home, the Summer Isles. These were the most expensive. The kanga cloth of vibrant colors and patterns fabrics had to be custom ordered, as no one wore gomesi here. She changed into another bright yellow wrapped dress, yellow was her favorite against her rich dark skin.

The girl was humming quietly to herself as she washed, when Samara came back. The water couldn't have been more than lukewarm but she didn't seem to notice.

"Feeling better?" Samara asked, giving the little girl a smile.

She didn't return the smile, but did nod her reply.

"Good." Samara said, setting the clothing down on the kitchen table that had been pushed against the wall to make room for the tub. Samara pulled one of the table's chairs up to the edge of the copper tub, "Spin. I need to check your hair for lice."