Part 2: Chapter Thirteen: Thrayd

The large carpeted corridor leading to the King's chamber had become an hive of activity. The court swarmed with anxious anticipation for news of their King. Ready to leap into action with the transfer of power like vultures circling a carcass.

Inside Thrayd watched, teary eyed Perry dutifully spoon honey into Steffan's mouth, massaging his throat to encourage the body to swallow. The new doctor, a Doctor Cloyd nervously hovered near, checking Steffan's shallow breathing a pulse now and again.

To her right Aeronwen sat, stoic and drawn with Davyth beside her holding her delicate hand, "I can't believe Brynmor would do such a thing." The Queen muttered.

"Nor I." Thrayd replied, "but he was the only person to see the King when he came back from the hunt."

"The bastard will die for this." Davyth sneered.

"Undoubtedly. But he should be hung as a thief in the square." Thrayd said adjusting her black veil.

"A thief! He should be drawn and quartered for treason!" Davyth exclaimed making Perry jump.

"Lower your voice amongst the ill." Aeronwen snapped.

"To admit that someone so close to us tried to commit an assassination is to admit vulnerability. And the predators of our court are already circling. I would prefer to not  give them any reason to think we are weak." Thrayd replied.

Davyth nodded slowly, "So a hunting accident then?"

"It is best, yes?"

Davyth and Aeronwen nodded in agreement.

"Davyth, you should be preparing with the legion for your journey, should you not?"

"Am I still to parley with the Khaan after this?" Davyth asked in surprise.

"Now more than ever. We must remain to appear strong." Thrayd ordered.

Davyth shrugged, "I don't think there is much for me to do."

"You should see the Duthaichi diplomat. There are dangers in Duthaich that you aren't familiar with that he will know of."

Davyth chuckled softly, "Dangers?"

"Laugh all you want, but I am serious. Now go."

"Alright, alright. If you insist." Davyth said kissing his mother lightly on the cheek.

Aeronwen watched her son leave the room before turning to her mother-in-law, "Shouldn't he be allowed to mourn?"

"Mourn what? His father is not dead. He could wake. Could he not doctor?" Thrayd asked Cloyd.

The nervous man nodded, "It's possible. But I wouldn't want to instill any false hope. The King's condition is barely stable, your grace."

Aeronwen arched a brow at Thrayd.

"Young men grieve through action." Thrayd said waving the young woman's look off. "Besides, I will not be lectured by you about propriety."

The Queen's face went hard, "And why is that?"

"Oh Please. Don't act like I can't smell it. I'd know the pungent odor anywhere. Your indulgent behaviors in that tar is disgraceful." Thrayd said lowering her voice.

Aeronwen frowned, she turned her face away.

Thrayd went on, "It makes you look ill my dear."

Aeronwen head snapped back in Thrayd's direction, "My husband is at death's door and my son is missing. How should I look?"

"Save your fained grief for the court." Thrayd snapped.