Part 3: Chapter Eleven: Rhodri

His new apartments at court were significantly better than his previous ones. He suspected that Davyth had had them freshly decorated and the furnishings seemed new as well. Being a knight and not a squire, Rhodri had more freedom to move about the castle. Yet here he was, hurrying to see Davyth, as if nothing had changed. It made him feel dirty again.

"Sir Rhodri." Said a high pitched voice behind him.

Rhodri spun to see Efa behind him. Dressed in a blue that matched her eyes, the Princess was heavily pregnant and without her entourage. Bowing low he waited for her to speak again.

"It's good to see you back." She said with a small smile.

"Thank you, your grace." He replied.

"But you are not squire now, I see."

"No ma'am." He said wondering how much Davyth shared with her.

Coming closer, Efa lowered her voice, "When you squired for the heir apparent you...provided...services?" she asked cautiously.

"As one does as a squire." He replied. 'Gods, what did this woman know?'

She frowned, "I'm asking about more specialized services."

Rhodri nodded.

"These services put you in confidence with my husband?"

'What did this woman want?' "More than most." He nodded again.

"Good." She said resting a protective hand on her swollen belly. "I need to know everything you hear and see."

Taken aback, Rhodri failed to mask his surprise, "I don't understand."

"The Prince has made you a knight, but I can make you much more."

He paused. He didn't doubt her. Efa had something Davyth didn't. Favor with the Queen Mother. "I'm listening."

"In return for your services to me... a seat in the Senate. IF your services are up to my standards."

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Like I said, I want to know everything. Including but not limited to everything the Prince does."

"I assume unbeknown-st to him."

Efa nodded with a coy smile.

Rhodri hoped he looked aghast, he wanted to laugh. "Your grace, this is perilously close to treason."

Efa sniffed, "I'll be the judge of that." She went on, "The Prince has a luncheon at the noon hour. I want to know who it's with and what is discussed. I trust you know the way to the his apartments?'

"I do, your grace." Rhodri replied, recognizing the dismissal he turned to leave.

"One more thing, Sir Rhodri. I want to know everything about Lady Sigrite as well. Everything she does and says."

The Prince's apartments had been completely redecorated. Every piece of furniture shone with new upholstery and fresh lacquer. The murals that had once depicted battle scenes had been painted over to portray feasting and revelry. The smell of the fresh paint was overpowering in the chamber.

At a table near the hearth, Perry was bent over, fiddling with the sleeve of a maroon velvet doublet. From the adjacent tiled room came the sounds of a bath being prepared. Davyth, however, was missing.

"Where is the heir?" Rhodri asked.

Perry raised his head with a smile, "You're back then?" he asked.