Part 3: Chapter Eighteen: Vada

Vada liked Jadida no more now than she did when she first saw it years before with her father. It stinking narrow streets were full of a myriad of merchants shouting and selling. The city was cramped and over flowing with people. The silt filled waters that surrounded it were dark and white capped, nothing like the crystal sea of her Pelagoes.

Her face, devoid of expression, she watched as the city went by from the window of the carriage. Ten days ride from Pelagoes, traveling without stop other than to relieve themselves. She was sore, tired and in need of a bath. Elwyn had spent the trip through the Erimos occupied with his paperwork, ignoring her for the most part. This was a relief. Perhaps all he wanted was her dowry? Their first meeting hadn't left her with the idea that gold was all he wanted, but... maybe?

"There are rules in my house." Elwyn said, regarding her expressionless face. "You won't be able to come and go as you please, but you will be able to go out with an escort."

"An escort?"

"Jadida is a dangerous city. We wouldn't want you going missing." He chuckled, "Ah, we're home."

Guards adorned with a sun emblem pushed open the iron gates, the old stone house towered high above beyond. It was grander than she had expected. It was an old descendant style, with turrets and a curtain wall in the front. The draw bridge, that it undoubtedly once had, was gone and the moat fulled in leaving just a beautiful Gothic archway. Passing under this archway they came to a stop in the bailey. Slaves, with their obvious ringed noses, came pouring out of the large front double doors.

Climbing out, Elwyn stretched.

"Its good to see you made it safely, Master." A tall, thin islander woman greeted. She stood stiff and straight, with her hands folded in front of her.

"Thank you, Bisma. It's good to be home." Elwyn turned to offer his hand to Vada, who promptly ignored it as she stepped down from the carriage. "This is your new mistress Princess Vada. You will address her as Mistress or Princess."

Bisma curtsied, "Welcome, Mistress." She said.

Vada's eyes widened. Beside Bisma stood a massively tall faun man with his matching nose ring and down cast eyes. He was one of Mehdoc's. A slave from his campaign; their campaign. Suddenly Mehdoc felt closer. Closer than he had in a year. Exhaustion mixed with the sudden rush of emotion welled up inside her. Biting down on the inside of her cheek, she gave a small nod.

"A bath is being prepared for you, Mistress. Shall I show you your chambers?" Bisma asked.

"Yes, I think that best." Elwyn said, watching Vada curiously.

Following the tall woman down the large entry hall, Vada fought the urge to turn and look back at the faun.

Her chambers were sizable consisting of a bed chamber and a private solar with a balcony over looking a courtyard. The furniture was older styled like the house, all dark, ornately carved and grand in size. The stone floors while old and well worn were clean and polished to a shine. A large copper tub sat in front of the massive hearth, steaming from the hot water inside. It smelled of lavender and mint.

"My chambers are separate from the Master's?" Vada asked.

Bisma paused then replied, "Yes, Mistress. Is this not satisfactory?"

"It is." Vada replied, holding her arms out at her sides.

Understanding the hint, Bisma began carefully removing the red wedding gown. "I shall have this laundered right way."

"Burn it." Vada said flatly.

"Mistress?" Bismas asked with a sense of confusion in her voice.