Part 1: Chapter Eighteen: Sinead

There appeared to be half a dozen soldiers all standing on the opposite side of the horizontal stable from the man in the chair, not counting the armed guards that stood shoulder to shoulder against the stone walls. Only Colvin was on the same side as the seated man. Each man approached the table and bowed, muttering, "Lord Khaan." then moved to the side, making room for the next soldier. Sinead's heart beat fast, as her Olc came to the table. It felt as if the man in the chair could see her and in all honesty, she was concerned that Colvin could. But her host bowed, muttered the words, stepped back without incident. She took a deep breath of relief, as did her host.

"Secretary Oktai," the Khaan began, turning his dark eyes to a tall, burly Olc standing to her Olc's left, "Tell me of the raids."

"There are limitations to the raids, Khaan. If a raiding group goes too far and they can't make it back to the city before dark, they don't come back at all. Which then limits the villages we can take."

Colvin leaned into the Khaan and whispered in his ear. The Khaan nodded then said, "A solution will be found, Oktai. In the meantime, keep the raids close range. Have there been any issues with the locations that Sir Colvin has provided?"

"No, Khaan. There is a village every place he said there would be."

"Good. Captain Cleatus," the Khaan turned to the man in red, "When will the wall be completed?"

Cleatus shifted, "Ah, sir, for that answer I will have to refer to my man, Batu," he said, giving her host a shove forward, "He handles the day to day business with the wall and the men."

The Khaan didn't look at her Olc, his eyes remained fixed, unblinking, on Cleatus. "And then, what do you do, Captain Cleatus?"

"I uh, manage Batu and...oversee." Cleatus stammered.

'Fool.' Batu thought.

"I see. Batu," the Khaan said, finally turning his gaze on her host, "When will the wall be completed?"

"At the rate they're going now, Khaan, next winter." Batu said plainly.

A hushed mutter went through the room

The Khaan's expression didn't change, however, "And why is that?"

"We're not builders, Lord Khaan, we're fighters." the Olc replied, 'tread carefully, Batu.' he silently warned himself.

"You are whatever I say you are." the Khaan said darkly.

"Yes, lord. I understand that we are paid to do whatever you need done. And I'm not complaining about the money, it's good money. It's just that, building isn't what we're good at. It's not where our skills lay."

The Khaan shifted in his seat, cocking his head to the side, "The wall needs to be built, Batu. And after that the garrison towers. How would you suggest I accomplish this, without forcing the men to do it?"

"With the natives, Lord."

The Khaan paused in thought, running his palm over his beard, "Fine, but if one natives dies. Then your men go back to building. A natives sells for three hundred pieces of gold, which is more than I pay for you."

"Well, now that you mention that. The men aren't doing well at governing the city, either." Batu went on.

"I'm governing the city, Batu, the men are merely keeping the peace." the Khaan corrected.

"Yes, well, peace isn't something we're good at. I would suggest, promoting certain members of the new citizenship to keep the peace. I also think the natives should be given their own part of the city to live. Mixing with the new citizens isn't good, could create sympathy."