Part 1: Chapter Fourteen: Llewellyn

The mid morning sky over head was heavy with gray clouds as they set out. The private gate of the Royal Keep was the most northern point of Mynyth. The guards stationed at the gate only nodded as the pair went by. Llewellyn had paid a great deal for their silence. He worried that it hadn't been enough. His grandmother's favor was often worth more than his gold. As the pair rode away, they left the chaos city behind. While the palace walls protected its occupants from the noise and business of the municipality below. Nothing could hold back the city smells. Nearly a million people stuffed into eleven square miles of city resulted in a stench that could be smelled for miles.

"That is entirely way too much horse for you." Llewellyn commented on her black and white large, feather footed paint.

Brenn patted her ride affectionately, shaking her head, "No, that is too much horse for you," she replied pointedly about the hot blooded black stallion who was flashy but had been trouble since the second Llewellyn had mounted him.

"Uh, yes, you would be correct." Llewellyn chuckled struggling to control the animal.

"Why do you even own a horse like that?"

"Oh, it's not mine. No, this is Davyth's horse. He hates it when I take it."

"So why are you riding it now?"

"Because Davyth hates it when I take it." Llewellyn replied with a cheeky grin.

Brenn laughed easily at her companion, "Why give your brother so much trouble?"

"Said by an only child." Llewellyn chided back.

Brenn wore the dress she arrived in with her silver fox fur trimmed collar and cloak. Having woken and left before Fia was up, Brenn's red tresses were wild, tied only with a thin leather cord at the nape of her neck. It had not escaped Llewellyn's notice. It had taken his breath away as she came down the steps of the bailey towards him. While she had never worn a veil, her hair had always been properly braided. Now those soft untamed ringlets bounced freely with the rhythm of the horse, falling gently in her face.

Llewellyn was dressed more plainly than he generally did, aside from the ear cuffs which he still wore. His long, black hair tied up on the back of his head made them stand out even more than usual.

"Speaking of siblings. Why are you an only child?" He asked, suddenly curious.

"What?" she responded sharply.

"Don't Faun usually have two at a time?" he pointed out.

"They do."

"Then why don't you have a twin?"

Brenn's mouth hardened, "I am only half Faun."

Llewellyn paused in silence, waiting for her to continue but she didn't offer any further explanation. Llewellyn cleared his throat, "So what do you want to know?" he asked.

"I understand it is your grandmother who's favor is the most valued. My mother told me as much. So it is she that I must appeal to, correct?"

Llewellyn hesitated, "Umm, well. My grandmother is... that is to say... Look Steffan may sit on the throne but  my grandmother rules the kingdom. She is in control of everything and everyone. The throne, the Senate, me. All of us."

"So I must appeal to her."

"Yes, but also no. There isn't anything you could do to get her on your side. She is very prejudice against the... Faun."

"Like your brother."

"Oh worse. Much worse."

"Do you think she actually sent of Syros?"