Chp 35 - Two Thrones

We're continuing from where we stopped last chapter, just an hour or so later.

Hope you enjoy! (at least a bit)

The blood and murders from the ball keeps rewinding in my head

The death of my adoptive- no.  Real parents is stuck to the front memory. I can't stop the clip replaying, when their pained eyes stared into me before they got killed.

And I don't even know who did it.

I did kill him... But never had time to see his face.

The whole ride from Asteria's castle was blurry to me, everything a black memory, only memories from the runoff were the hard turns Ascian had to make with Nuallán to avoid arrows and low branches. Everywhere I looked in the forest, the darkness turned into crimson.

I had to shut my eyes to keep some of it away.

By the time we get to his hidden cabin, which Ascian told me we were heading to, my mind is nothing more but a dark mess.

Ascian has to help me down from the horse. He walks us to the cabin door, holding me upright, and opens it quickly.

"Get inside and warm yourself up, I need to take Nuallán to the back stable, so I'll be back in a second."

I only stare in front of me, he waits till I acknowledge him and give him a small nod. My body is there in the moment, but not my mind. I feel empty.

Wanting to listen to Ascian, I go up to the fireplace and start making some smaller wood pieces to get the fire started.

On the ledge over the fireplace I can find matches and I start the fire. Gradually putting more and bigger pieces of wood, until it burns fiercely. It should be warm a few hours before more wood is needed.

Registering the weight on my shoulders I look on my left shoulder and notice an extra cloak on top of me. Ascian. Too tired to get up from the fireplace, I look around the room I'm in.

It's an open living room when you get inside the cabin. The kitchen is on the right side, halfway closed off by a large bench, the eating area standing proudly in front of it. Straight forward from the outside door, there goes a hallway, disappearing between the edges of the kitchen and living room. What I can make out is two or three doors.

Staring at the fire peacefully, I suddenly hear a loud bang from the front door. Turning my head to look there with a steady heartbeat, Ascian comes in quickly. His body was shivering lightly.

He closes his hands together into fists and blows into them to get some warmth, while rubbing his hands together. His strides are long and fast while approaching the fire. He lets out a satisfied groan when the warmth of the fireplace starts to warm up his hands.

Thankfully he has let me be in my quietness since the whole incident. But that might be because he had to focus on getting us out of the whole murder scene.