6. PS I Love You💖

Ashwin was sitting on the edge of the chair waiting for his to be in laws to respond. He exhaled loudly and moved forward to take Binni's hand in his. She looked up at the young man who was waiting with bated breath.

Binni had a call from Tanu this morning about Martin and herself wanting to visit them to discuss something important. So the couple were invited over for tea that evening but they weren't expecting a forlorn man to tag along. They were surprised to see Ashwin who has never visited their home before even though their daughter cant stop speaking about him and from the looks of it, she talks to him over the phone almost every morning and night. It has been a concern to the parents as they believed that their young daughter has fallen for this man who looked elusive and most importantly disinterested in their daughter. The last thing they wanted for their 20 year old was rejection which seemed certain to happen.

They invited him in with an open mind. After the usual pleasantries came the biggest shock.

Appa, amma. I love your daughter and I would like to ask for her hand in marriage.

The complete silence that followed was alarming for Ashwin. No one spoke a word for what seemed like forever.

Binni and Krishna have discussed Ashwin a few times in the last few months. Sivaangi and her crushes have never bothered them. They have given their children a good upbringing and understanding that they trust the parents with their secrets. Their first born has never hid anything from her parents, and when she talked about her crushes, they looked at her as just another harmless teenager crushing on boys for no particular reason. Its been just an infatuation that faded over time, but this man is definitely not one of her passing crushes. The Krishnakumars watched their little girl blossom into a beautiful young lady in the presence of this gentleman. It was quiet clear that their little princess was in love with him but either she hasn't realised it yet or she hasn't told them yet.

The events from last night made them understand that something wasn't right in Sivaangi's life and it had something to do with Ashwin. When Sivaangi reached home with a certain emptiness the previous night, her mum who was scrolling through some fan edits commented casually.

Inga paaru Sivaangi! Unga fans decode pannarennu ennavellam solaraaganu. Manasatchiye illa, antha payan eppadi irukaan, unna paaru. Eppadi set aagum?! Avan eppadi than un torture ah thaangaraano, paavam.

That was the breaking point. Sivaangi felt hot tears gush out.

Naan kevalama than iruken, othukaren, pothuma? Innime avaru pakkam thirumbi kuda paaka matten. Santhoshama? Yaarum enkita pesaatheenga.

Saying that she ran off to her room and locked herself in. Binni and Krishna were at a loss for words.

You should stop teasing her like that. She was disturbingly quiet in the car. I think she argued with Ashwin just before I picked her up. Naan poi pesaren.

Sivaangi refused to talk to anyone. They heard her sobbing uncontrollably, but was helpless and went to bed with a heavy heart. Sivaangi on the other hand fell asleep crying. She woke up in the morning feeling emotionally numb, she called Pugal and asked him to pick her up for the Super singer shoot. She wasn't ready to tell her parents anything yet. She got ready and dressed up without any interest. She walked downstairs and found her parents and brother waiting at the dining table. She refused to meet their eyes, sat down and picked at her food. By then Pugal arrived to pick her, before Binni could stop her from leaving, Krishna motioned for Binni to let her go. They wanted her to have the space to feel confident to trust her parents with whatever was consuming her mind right now.

Back to the present, Ashwin was waiting for Sivaangi's parents to respond to his proposal. Binni had tears in her eyes when she looked up from her hand that was encased in Ashwin's hands.