9. The night is still young

Sivaangi sat next to Ashwin looking at their interlocking fingers, where proudly sat the simple and classic solitaire ring sparkling on her ring finger. There was nothing ostentatious about this significant piece of jewellery but she felt that it is and will be the most precious jewel she will ever own. She felt an unexplainable emotion when it hit her that she officially belonged to this gorgeous man, her fiancé. Wow, sounds great to call him that. He held her hand while he talked animatedly to Martin and Rakshan.

She laid her head on his arm and he instinctively wrapped his arm around her shoulder, pulling her closer so she can lay her head on his chest and held her hand with his other free hand. She was physically exhausted, she closed her eyes with a smile playing on her lips, reminiscing about the beautiful proposal.

A: Sivaangi, will you marry me?

Sivaangi's hands flew to her mouth and she had tears of joy as Ashwin continued speaking.

A: I want to share my life with you. Don't really know how I managed to spend 29 years without you by my side but not any more. You make me feel at home. You are my home! I want to wake up to your happy face every morning and fall asleep in your arms every night. I am not promising you a perfect life but this will definitely be our happily ever after. We will learn from our mistakes, face the obstacles in our lives together, grow together, and make a beautiful family. So be mine and make me yours. My darling, will you marry me?

Sivaangi did not trust herself to speak coherently at this point so she nodded her head fiercely. Ashwin raised his eyebrows expecting an answer from her. She chortled and managed to say yes.

YES!! YEESSS!! YESSSSSS!!

Ashwin grinned as he took her left hand in his palm and placed the ring on her fourth finger that has the vein of love connecting to her heart. When he looked up into her eyes, they both felt complete and she threw herself into his arms and he caught her in a tight hug while the rest of them clapped to the newly engaged couple.

When they finally parted from the hug, everyone stepped forward to congratulate them. Ashwin's parents hugged the couple and Sivaangi's parents told their daughter that they couldn't have found a better person for her even if they tried their best. Ashwin's mum was really happy for her son and she was very emotional too. She turned to Binni and held her hands.

I want to thank you too. The day your interview was telecasted made a huge difference. You trusted a man around your young daughter, you called him a gentleman. That changed the way the world looks at my son. My daughter mentioned that people on social media appreciated the upbringing he has had. I cried so much that day, over the last 7 years, people have criticised and mocked my son in spite of knowing his personality and character but when they saw you saying that in front of the media, it changed it all! Believe it or not, I got 30 proposals for my son the very next day. You along with Sivaangi have played a major role in portraying my son in good limelight.

B: Naan unmaiya than sonnen. Unga paiyyan maathri nalla pasangala paarkarathu romba kashtam. Not saying it because he is going to be our son in law. He is a gem and our daughter is very lucky to have met him. And you definitely have a big part in moulding his character. He is what he is because of the good influence he has had over the years from you two.

The families spent the rest of the evening with good conversations and good food. Ashwin's family left to his apartment after dinner while he stayed back to spend some time with his girl. Sometime after his parents left, Sivaangi's parents retired to their room. Pugal and Sivaangi helped Tanu tidy up the place while the rest sat down chatting about nothing in particular.