23. A humble beginning 🧡

Sivaangi opened her eyes and her hazy vision landed on the ceiling above her head and it brought back some of the happy memories. The last 18 hours of her life made her wonder if she was living a dream.

Sivaangi was in low spirits when she shut her bedroom door behind her after dinner. She picked Ashwin's call and tried to sound cheerful.

S: Ashwineyy! Enna panara?

A: Just finished dinner. Ippo bed la paduthitu iruken.

S: Athukula thoonga poraya ?

A: Not yet.

S: Will you atleast wish me at midnight?

She choked up but fought her tears trying to supress it. She did not want him to feel guilty about not being around on her birthday. But she knew she was going to cry soon and make him sad too.

A: Ma, thirumbavum murunga maram erathe. Seri, unna better aakarathukaaga ippove un surprise pathi sollaren. Naan unnaku oru gift vachirukken. Sunder 12 o clock kondu varuvaan.

S: Ennaku theriyum. Nee inga illati, amma kitayo Sunder kitayo ethavathu gift kudithirupanu nenchen, athu kuda theriyatha loosuh naan?

A: Enna ma ippadi pesara?

S: Ennaku gift vendam, nee than venum.

A: Naan unnaku than chella kutty.

S: Illa, ennaku nee ippove venum, inga venum, eppadiyavathu vaa.

Ashwin could picture the corners of her mouth drooping and her beautiful doe eyes welling up.

A: Azharaya ma?

S: Illa.

He heard her voice break and he felt guilty.

A: Sivaangi ma, nallaiku un birthday. Happy ah irukanum. Azhatha kannamma.

S: Hmm. Seri po. Naan thoongaporen. 12 ku call pannidunga. Maranthidaatheenga. Romba hurt ayiduven.

A: Please da ma. Ippadi pesathe. Naan eppadi marapen?

S: I will be fine. Actually I am fine. Leave it.

A: Appo video call la vaa ma.

Sivaangi let out a sigh, wiped her face and switched to a video call. Ashwin felt mesmerised by the sight of this divine creature with her eyes slightly wet and her nose becoming a shade of red due to the crying. He desperately wanted to thread his fingers through her mane and kiss that pout. This is the longest he has been away from her since meeting her.

A: Cute ah iruka.

S: Theriyum. Naan eppovume cute uh than.

Ashwin laughed at her lack of modesty.

S: Sirikathey.

A: Appadiye paatave paadidu.

S: Nee paadu.

A: Nee siri, naan padaren.

S: Siripu varla.

A: Illaye, anga paaru, un lips orathila oru kutty smile theriyuthu.

He can see her biting the left side of her lower lip a tiny bit. She does that when she tries to fight that smile threatening to erupt. Sivaangi gave up and smiled. It was not worth creating a drama to make him repent for something that isn't entirely his fault. He sang to her and she joined him. No longer consumed by the heaviness in her heart, she went to sleep feeling lighter.