Part 126- Neil's parents and childhood

At night, they were sitting together outside Mini's room (I'm missing the set as well 🙂). Mini was looking at Neil, in intervals, while he was on a call with someone from restaurant. As he disconnected the call...

Neil: What?

Mini: Kya what?

Neil: Matlab you want to ask something, don't you?

Mini: Haan... Nahi nahi... Kuch nahi.

Neil: Okay (controlling his laugh).

Mini: Neil woh mai...

Neil: Arrey, why are you hesitating so much? Just say it.

Mini: Mai soch rahi thi ki tumne mujhe kabhi apne parents ke baare mein nahi bataya. I mean, ofcourse, you've told me about them but unki nature ke baare mein. Even I want to know, ki woh kaise the, but at the same time mai puchna nahi chahti thi tumse because...

Neil: Parents, Mini. To talk about them, to think of those memories, it always feels so blissful. I know, it hurts a lot when we realise that they aren't with us today, but still, memories are precious. ☺️

Mini: ☺️ So, bolo, I'm listening.

Neil: My mom was a very sweet person. She always used to be so calm. She had a very pure aura. Quite intelligent, and she had the most melodious voice ever. Pata hai jab bhi woh gaati thi naa, mai aur Papa dono hi pata nahi kahan kho jaate the. Jab tum uss din Lori gaa rahi thi, I was having flashbacks of those days.

Mini: ☺️ Aur tumhare Papa?

Neil: Woh... He, too, was a very intelligent, successful person. Bahot pyaar karte the apni family se. But humse zyada, he loved the country. As I told you, he was a bureaucrat in foreign services. Kabhi kabhi bahot difficult ho jaata tha, alag alag countries mein travel karna. Kyi baar rival countries bhi hoti thi, so there was threat to life as well. But overall, he was... How should I say?.... He was... Bilkul mere jaise the... Professionally alag aur personally alag.

Mini: Idiot... Woh tumhare jaise nahi tum unke jaise ho.

Neil: Haan haan, whatever.

Mini: Continue.

Neil: What continue? Ho gaya.

Mini: Arrey yeh toh batao, that how they met, how did they marry and...

Neil: Oh, so aap mere parents ki love story jaanna chahti hain, Mini Madam?

Mini: Yes obviou.... Haan... Nahi nahi, ofcourse not.

Neil: 😏

Mini: Don't give me those looks, Neil Oberoi.

Neil: Waise I thought you ain't interested in love stories, are you?

Mini: 🙄

He smiled at her and held her hand. She looked at him.

Neil: Music was the string that connected them, just the way our pain connected us.

She held his hand tightly and smiled a bit.

Neil: They both were in the same campus. Their colleges were just opposite each other. Because they both were toppers, they were quite famous in each other's college as well. Phir during a college fest, my dad watched her performance. Unki awaaz mein kuch aisa tha Mini, something.... Something very deep, very unique. And he was touched. Then slowly, gradually, they start interacting. Now don't ask details... Even I don't know..

Mini: 🤦🏻‍♀️ Ofcourse 😁

Neil: Phir, they prepared for the foreign services, together. Tum toh jaanti ho how easy it becomes when you have someone to accompany you.

She nodded.

Neil: Unki job ke baad they married, settled. Then after my birth, kaam ko thoda sa stop kiya. Later on, unhone apna saara dhyan meri upbringing mein laga diya. Uss dauraan woh apna kaam ghar se hi karte the. They always preferred to give me more time, aur mai bhi unn dono ko observe karte karte bahot kuch seekh gaya. Uss time Papa ke office ke kuch log aate the ghar pe and at that time, he used to be in his professional mood. Just like us, unke office ka staff bhi kaafi irritating tha.

Mini: 🤦🏻‍♀️ Ek toh koi bhi baat karo, tum restaurant ke staff ko beech mein le aate ho.

Neil: Arrey sach mein, there was this person, I clearly remember him... His name was Vineet. He used to treat me like a 5 year old kid, even jab mai 16 saal ka tha tab bhi. He used to call me with weirdest names like "Neiluuu bachhe"....

Mini: WHAT? 🤯🤭

She burst out laughing.

Neil: 😒

Mini: 😬🙊

After a second of silence, they both burst out laughing, together.

Neil: Unka ek beta bhi tha, he was older than me, around 19-20 at that time, he too was sooo immature, mujhse bhi zyada.

Mini: Tum, aur immature? Bewakoof kisi aur ko banana, Chef Neil Oberoi.

Neil: Arrey, but at that time I was immature. Unlike you, mera koi sibling toh tha nahi jiski wajah se mujhe mature hona pade.

Mini: Sibling toh mera bhi nahi tha. Arya is just 5 years old.

Neil: Yeah, but you had to face tough situations at a very young age Mini. You know, when you're the only child of your parents, you have their whole attention, they pamper you a lot, so much that you don't realise that you're growing. Aisa lagta hai jaise hum abhi bhi utne hi chhote hain. That's what happened with me, and my parents were noticing this, so they sent me to a hostel, so that mai khud sab manage karna seekhu, akele rehna seekhu, and I learnt. Phir do saal baad, ek call aayi, and it changed everything.

And as he said this, her mind immediately travelled to the morning when she got the call, informing her about the death of her Babes and Hanuman. She kept her hand on his shoulder.

Neil: Humari chhoti si family, ab family thi hi nahi. Mai ghar wapas aaya, sab relatives the wahan... Everyone was there. But no one, no-one told me ki Neil, you don't worry, hum hain tumhare saath. No one. Uss din, Neil mature ho gaya. (Slight smile with teary eyes)

Mini: Neil..

Neil: Hmm?

Mini: Mai hoon tumhare saath.

Neil: I know.

He smiled at her and she smiled back. Slowly, he hugged her and she caressed his hair lightly. With sleepy eyes, she too leaned more towards him and they both slept.

Happy Reading ❤️