Chapter 1

Ellie

Present

"Mamma, he's going to be okay," I said to my mom, giving her a tight hug. We got a call from Evelyn informing us that my brother was in a car accident. My dad immediately got the jet ready to fly us to LA, where my brother lives since he graduated from high school.

After hearing the news about my brother, I felt like my whole world collapsed. As much as he teased and annoy the hell out of me, I love him. And he loves me too. Yes, he's protective, controlling, and overbearing, but he means well. Although I always tell him how much I hate it when he goes all big brother on me, I secretly love it.

Sitting here, waiting for our plane to land, not really knowing what's going on with my brother is beyond eerie and nerve wracking, but I'm trying to hold my own. Our mother is already worried out her mind, it wouldn't help to add to her worries.

"Ms. Ellie, we'll be landing shortly, please fasten your seatbelt," Mary our stewardess told me.

I nodded. "Thanks," I said.

"He's a strong man. He will be fine," she said to me.

"Yes, he's strong and stubborn," i retorted. Mary has been with the family for 15 years. Her mom, was my grandpas private stewardess when he flies, during the good ole days; and now she works for the family - they have become family too for us.

"Papà, who's picking us up?" I asked, trying to start a conversation. The silence is making me sick.

"Marco will be picking us up," he said.

Well that's a name I've heard quite a few times. He's one of my brother's best friend; who'm he met during college, along with their other best friend, Jason. I haven't personally met either of them, but they've got quite the reputation. I've read too many gossip columns to know all about them.

During their college days, they were known as the Golden Trio. All coming from well known wealthy families, and having the looks to go with it as well, earned them the title. Women threw themselves at them at every turn, but things changed when my brother met his first wife Cassie. He became a one woman man, shedding his playboy reputation; leaving the two boys to live up to the reputation, of their playboy ways. The Golden Trio, suddenly became the Golden Duo.

Sadly, Cassie died while giving birth to their daughter Lia. I've never seen my brother so distraught, but thank god for miracles, because he got his - twice, I might add. Lia was his first miracle. I swear if it weren't for my beautiful niece, my brother would have withdrawn himself to the world. And now, according to my mother, my brother has found his second miracle, through a woman named Arabella. She's actually Lia's new nanny, but according to the knowing and prying eyes of my mother, she's not just a nanny. I really do hope my mom is right. My brother has been through so much, and he deserves to find happiness again.

Now, if only I could get my father to stop pressuring me to settle down. I swear he's determined to parade all the bachelors in front of me, until I finally say yes to one of them. But hell if I bend on this. I'm turning 24 in a couple of months, there's no way in hell I'm thinking about marriage. I don't even have a man in my life.

As we were coming down the steps off the plane, I saw the limo waiting nearby. A man was standing beside the door. Judging my his stance, I assume he's the driver.

I don't know why, but I actually feel excited upon seeing Marco. I've never met him in person, but based on his pictures, he's definitely handsome.

The driver moved to open the door, and a very handsome man climbed out.

My jaw dropped. The papers does not do him any justice at all.