Chapter 17

Ellie

4 weeks later

"We finally did it!" I exclaimed.

"I know! I can't believe we're finally here in LA," Zarah said.

"Are you sure you're okay now Zar? I mean now that we're here, you're more likely to run in with Jason," I said.

"Ellie, I'm okay. Really. LA is big enough for the two of us," she said.

"Yeah, but he is best friends with our brother," I pointed out.

She sighed. "I know, but honestly, I'm going to be way too busy at the centre."

I walk over to her and hugged her. "Alright. If you're sure," I said.

She hugged me back. "I'm sure. I'm not going to waste one more second thinking about that sorry excuse for a man."

I chuckled. "That's right!" I agreed.

Marco

"The Maretti's are in deep with debt. They're nearing bankruptcy. Leandros is liquidating all his assets just to keep their company afloat. His son, Demetri is not doing anything to help. He's desperate," Shane Brooks my lawyer and friend said to me.

"Good. I want first bid on his company," I said. "My men is still on Demetri. I want to know his every move."

"Man, I hope you know what you're doing. I don't know if Maretti Industries is worth saving," he said.

"Who said anything about saving it? I'm going to do exactly what they did to my family," I said.

He nodded.

They'll pay for what they did to my family. I swore it on my father's grave. I won't stop until I get what I want. Leandros Maretti will be exposed for who he really is. And his son. He'll pay for what he did to my sister.

Ellie

"Hey, how did the move go?" Ara asked as I went into their kitchen.

"As smoothly as it can go," I said.

"Where's the little love bug?"

"Oh, she's with EJ. He insisted on getting the things I need for dinner tonight. They'll be back soon."

I chuckled. I recently figured out why Ara sometimes call Massimo EJ. It stands for egotistical jerk. It actually suits my brother quite well.

"So, how's married life treating you guys?"

I thought I saw a hint of sadness in Ara's eyes, but it was gone before I could confirm it. She gave me a smile and said, "it's been great. I love it. I'm still adjusting. I told Mass that I wanted to hold off on the daycare learning centre. I know I'm going to be super busy once I start planning and running it. I want to be able to enjoy being with them first. Besides, I've got a lot of time. I just want to enjoy being a wife and a mother first," she said.

"Which you do incredibly well," I said.

"Thanks," she said with a big smile.

"My brother's really lucky. I hope he knows that," I said.

There it is again. I could tell something was bothering Ara, and I intend to find out why. She always gets this sad look, and then it's gone so quickly, you'd think you just imagined it. But I know now that I didn't.

"Ara, is everything alright?" I asked.

"Of course," she said. "why do you ask?"

I shrugged. "You get this sad look then just as quickly it's gone, as if I had imagined it," I explained.