Chapter 3

Ellie

The nerve!

The unfeeling jerk!

The arrogant asshole!

Damn it! The unfeeling jerk, arrogant asshole, is a damn good kisser!

Oh god no!

No! No! No!

Don't think about his kiss. I told myself.

The arrogant asshole.

"I don't know. It seemed like a good idea. It shut you up didn't it?"

His words were ringing in my head.

Aargh!!! He deserved more than a stomp on the foot. I should have slapped his face for saying that. Or better yet, kneed him in the balls.

I laughed.

Yup.

Should have kneeled him in the balls.

Let's see if he can still make his manhood work after I knee him in the balls.

God. The jerk!

"Hey, beauty. What happened?" Jason asked.

"You're stupid friend happened," I growled.

He laughed. "What did he do this time?"

"He..." I almost told him, but stopped my said. "It's not what he did to me, it's what I did to him," I smirked.

He laughed again. "You stomped on his foot again didn't you?" He asked.

I nodded. "Should have done worse than that!"

He chuckled. "He probably deserved it."

"I don't know why my brother is friends with such an asshole," I muttered.

He chuckled. "Should you really be asking me that?" Indicating that he, himself, is friends with the arrogant asshole.

"No. I guess not."

Then he looked behind me and burst out laughing.

I turned around and find Marco limping worse than he was before.

I smirked, then I turned back around and went back inside my brother's private room.

"I thought you were getting coffee?" My mother asked.

I shrugged. "They didn't have good coffee," I said. The door opened and Jason walked in. Behind him was Marco.

"Hi, I just wanted to say goodbye and that it was nice to finally meet you Ara, Ellie," he said as he gave as a curt nod. "Mr. And Mrs. Anastasi, it was great to see you again, though I hoped it was under different circumstances."

"Oh dear, call us Dominic and Francesca, you know that," my mother said.

Jason smiled and nodded. "I'm afraid, I have to leave for an important meeting that I can't miss. I'd stay..."

"Oh non sense. Jason, please don't feel bad. We understand and knowing my son, I'm sure he would too," my mother said.

Jason nodded. "I'll be back as soon as I can. Please keep me updated."

We assured him we would, and then he left, hesitantly.

"I think you all should rest too," Marco said. "Massimo wouldn't want you tiring yourselves, especially after a long flight. Why don't I take you all home, to get some sleep and I'll pick you up bright and early tomorrow," he suggested.

"I would really like to stay. I want to be here when he wakes up," my mother said. "Besides who will stay with him if we all leave?"

"I will," Ara said.

We all looked at her.

"This is all my fault. If I hadn't..." She started saying as tears welled up in her eyes. She told us about their fight. We assured her that it wasn't her fault, but she still feels guilty.

My mother was right. She is not just the new nanny. She's much more special to my brother and my niece. I could tell that she genuinely cares for my brother. In fact, I can see the love in she has for my brother, shining in her eyes.

She's in love with my brother.

I smiled at the thought. My brother deserves to be happy after everything that he has been through. And my niece. She deserves the love of a mother. From what I can see, Ara loves her like her own daughter, and I couldn't be happier.

"Mom, I think Marco is right. We should really get some rest. Besides, Lia needs us too," I said.

Marco looked at me with surprise. I guess he didn't expect me to agree with him. I ignore the look he gave me.

"Yes, please you all should rest. I promise to call right away if anything changes with Massimo's condition," Ara said.

"Amore, they are right. Let's go home for a bit and rest, and see our granddaughter. She needs us too," my father said.

My mother looked torn and it looked like she was going to argue, but she sighed and agreed with us. "Okay. You are all right. If you don't mind Marco, we'd like to go home. And Ara, dear, please try to get some rest too, and stop blaming yourself. None of this was your fault.

Ara gave her a weak smile and nodded.

I walked over to her and hugged her.

"My mom is right. Please don't blame yourself because it's not your fault," I smiled at her. "It was nice to finally meet you. Thank you for looking after my brother, and my niece. Mamma is right. You are special," I said and winked at her.

I walked over to my brother and kissed him on his forehead. "Get well soon, big brother. I love you. We'll see you tomorrow," I whispered in his ear.

Marco held the door open for me. For the first time, I saw something other than arrogance in his eyes.

I saw tenderness and softness in his eyes, as he looked at me and waited for me to walk out the door.

As the door closed. He put his hand on my shoulder, stopping me from walking down the hallway.

I turned back to him.

He smiled at me and said, "don't worry. He's going to be okay."

I nodded. "Thanks."

He smiled at me warmly. "Let's get you home," he said, as he grabbed my hand, and led me down the hallway.

What just happened?

I ignore the tingles that shot through my body as he held my hand. It's the same feeling I felt when he said hello.

Just one hello from the gorgeous man, and I've lost my wit.

I shook my head mentally.

He is my brother's best friend and I shouldn't be having any kind of feelings towards him. Besides he's a jerk, remember?

I sighed.

I looked up, just as he looked down at me. His eyes full of warmth - my breath caught in my throat. Then he smiled.

Oh boy. I'm. In. Big. Trouble.