Chapter 16

Ellie

"I want you to marry me," I blurted out.

Ok. So that wasn't exactly how I planned it. I guess the best way you can look at it, is its like peeling off a band aid.

But I don't know whether to laugh or grimace at the look on Marco's face. To say he was shocked is an understatement. He was looking at me with wide eyes and his mouth agape. I think I just made him forget how to breathe.

Just when I moved to open my mouth and say something, he beat me to it.

"You want me to what? Marco asked in astonishment.

"I want you to marry me," I said again.

"Is this your idea of a joke?" He asked.

"I assure you, I'm dead serious," I said.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you asking me to marry you? You can't even stand me half the time," he said.

"All."

"What?"

"You said half the time. I was correcting you," I said with a tilt of chin.

He glared at me. "If that's your way of convincing me to marry you, then you're not doing a very good job Tesoro."

"If you let me explain, then I'll tell you why I'm asking you to marry me," I said.

"Ellie, I'm telling you now. I doubt you'll be able to convince me. I'm not the marrying kind. So your wasting your breath."

"And that is why you are perfect," I said.

He raised his eyebrows and crossed his arms against his chest. "Please do enlighten me," he said.

"Look. Papà has been on my case about settling down and getting married. He's made it his mission to parade all the bachelors he knows so I can pick a guy and marry him. I for one, am not ready to get married and I will not be forced to do so."

"And yet you're asking me," he muttered.

"We won't really be getting married. We're just going to announce our engagement so my father will stop throwing these men at me. You're perfect. You don't to marry me and God knows I want nothing to do with you, so this is a perfect arrangement," I said.

"It's becoming your habit to throw insults at me."

I shrugged.

"Just tell him to stop."

"Don't you think I have? My father is stubborn and very determined. Once he wants something he gets it done. Just like Massimo. Do you have any idea how many men he has dangled in front of me?"

"Look Ellie, your brother is my best friend. Do you have an idea what he'll do once he finds out about this?"

"But it's not real," I insisted.

"Exactly. But it doesn't matter. Did you think about what will happen when we announce our so called engagement? They will be questioning us. Not only that they'll be forcing us to get married right away. Hell, before you know it they're going to be talking about babies."

"Were you not listening to me? I said there isn't going to be a wedding!"

"Ellie this is too complicated and you obviously haven't thought about this as much as you should. You don't know the ramifications of going through with this plan. Ellie, your asking me to lie to the people I care about."

I opened my mouth to argue, but what he said was right. We'll be lying to the people we love and I don't think I can do that.

"Look, if you really don't want to get married then say no. Your father can't very well drag you to the altar. Besides, since when did Ellie do what she's asked? From what I know, you have a mind of your own and no one can make you do something that you don't want to do. If your father keeps throwing men at you then just keep saying no."

"Easier said than done," I mumbled.

He chuckled. "Come here, princess," he said, motioning me to come closer to him.

I looked at him warily. "Why?"

He chuckled. "Come here, princess."

I shook my head. "No!"

"Ellie, come!"

"Don't tell me what to do! Don't order me around. And stop with your commands. I am not a dog!"

He laughed. "See what I mean? No one can make you do something that you don't want to do."

I sighed and glared at him.

Marco

I could tell that Ellie was desperate. But pretending to be engaged to each other is not the solution.

I almost caved and gave in to what she wanted to happen, but I know that that's just asking for trouble, and with I have planned, I definitely don't a need anymore complications.

I have to focus on getting what Maretti stole from me. And I won't stop until I get it.

Ellie

"Well I'm glad at least one of you were thinking rationally," Zarah muttered.

I scowled.

"You have to admit Ellie, what he said was right. You didn't really think it through. Besides, can you really lie to Papà and mamma? Or even Massimo?"

I sighed and shook my head. "No. I guess not. But Papà is driving me crazy!"

Zarah laughed. "Ellie, Marco gave you a pretty good advice. Just keep saying no. You say Papà is stubborn, but so are you," she pointed out.

That's true...

"You know what. You're both right. He can't force me to get married. I just have to keep saying no until he stops. Besides we'll be moving to LA soon. Papà won't be able to introduce any more men for me."

Zarah smiled. "That's the spirit!"

We both laughed. "I'm really glad we're doing this together Zarah," I said.

"Me too," she said. I detected some sadness in her voice. Come to think of it, she hasn't been quite herself since the wedding yesterday.

"Zarah, are you okay? Is something bothering you?" I asked.

She looked at me. Tears welled up in her eyes.

"Oh honey," I said, as she lunged herself at me and broke down and cried.

I have a feeling that this has got something to do with that Golden boy!