Chapter 20: Check Up

Chapter 20

Elijah

"Pwede ko bang maka usap ang boss mo?" I asked the crew as I placed the grocery basket on top of his counter. I bought a few stocks to cook for Nica pero sinadya ko ring pumunta para makipag usap.

"Gusto ko lang makipag usap," I added when he looked hesitant. I was sure he was the same guy when I came here para sunduin si Nica.

"Pagkatapos na po ba nito,Sir?" he asked while punching the items.

"You can leave that there and punch back after calling your boss."

He nodded before entering the office beside his counter.

A little later he came out with his boss.

"To what do I owe this pleasure," he asked sarcastically.

" Hindi ako pumunta dito para makipag away," deretsa kong sabi, hindi na pinatulan ang sinabi niya.

"Fair enough, if that's what you want. Come with me."

"Pakibalot nalang nito,"I looked at the crew and handed him my card.

"I'm Nica's fiance, gusto ko lang klaruhin iyan sa'yo kung iba ang motibo ng pakikipagkaibigan mo sa kanya. I don't want you taking advantage of her innocence," I started as soon as we were seated.

"Bakit? Natatakot ka bang mahulog si Nica sa iba?"

I tried to remain calm. "I am confident that Nica loves me. I'm only afraid that I may not be able to protect her enough from people who might take advantage of her."

"Sa tingin mo ako ang taong nanamantala?"he laughed.

"I don't know you tell me. Gusto ko lang na maging klaro tayo sa isat-isa. Kung ako lang ayaw kong nakikipagkaibigan ka kay Nica. For a man like me, iisipin kong may masama kang motibo. Wala akong problema kay Nica dahil kilala ko siya. I know that her intentions are pure and innocent.

"Sorry man, but I'm not a man like you. Gusto ko si Nica, but that liking never go beyond being her friend," he heaved out. " I couldn't take Nica for granted dahil sa simula palang alam kong may sakit na siya. "Believe me, I don't have plans of eavesdropping at your conversation. I only happened to be at that same floor with you two dahil may delivery ako sa isang customer dahil kinulang ako sa tao nang araw nayun. Before that incident lagi ko naring nakikita na pumunta dito si Nica sa condo. I always see her but I doubt if she even notice me once dahil mukhang isang tao lang naman ang nakikita niya. That day, you were angry at her for doing something that may compromise her health. You stop her from sending you gifts and stuff because you said you  don't need them. That's what I can only recall. In my head, how can you treat a sick woman like that? When Nica confessed to me about her true illness, about  how serious it was. Doon ko napatunayan kung ga'no ka kagago," he shook his head.

"Noong araw na nakita ko siyang pumunta dito para mag grocery, to be honest I intentionally approached to befriend her because she had piqued my interest hindi dahil masama ang motibo ko kundi dahil even looking at her alam ko ang nararamdaman niya. I know what it feels like to be sick because I've also loved a woman like her. Fragile and full of insecurities," he cleared his throat. "I didn't befriend Nica for the wrong reason. Tinulungan ko siya lalo na nung sinabi niyang gusto niyang matutong  magluto para sayo. I wanted to help her, because I wanted her to  overcome her insecurities even if the person she loves does not even deserve my recipe. Have you seen how happy she was when she tried to bake that cake for you? Even trying to hide and projecting a strong personality I can obviously see what's her inside dahil ganun din si Joanna."

Wow, that made me speechless. I swallowed hard while clenching my hand. He's talking like he knew Nica even more than me, who have known Nica for too long, now.