Chapter 11 : Masquerade

Veronica

I felt light headed and a familiar smell woke me up. My mom's Chanel perfume.

Well, there was no question where I was. Sanay na ako laging nandito. This happens to be my second home.

"Thank God, Nica. I'm glad you're awake," bungad agad ni Mommy the moment I opened my eyes.

The classic socialite Elena Borromeo Enrique, looks too overdress para maging bantay ko dito sa ospital. Her hair was neatly tied in a ponytail wearing her timeless black chanel silk thin strapped dress. Well, unlike me, Mom is a natural socialite.

Sinubukan kong gumalaw. "Careful, honey," she instantly rose from her chair na kaharap lang ng bed ko at inalalayan akong umupo. "How are you feeling?" alala niyang tanong at hinalikan ang noo ko.

I felt so weak but other than that I think I'm perfectly fine. There was just a pulse monitor attached to my thumb and dextrose to give me fluid which signals that it wasn't serious.

"Anong nangyari, Mom?Why did I pass out?" tanong ko as I scanned my PVIP room.

"You were low in sugar," napabuntong hininga si Mommy. "Were you starving yourself again, anak? Don't tell me you're in one of those bizarre diets again? Alam mo namang kailangan mong kumain. O baka naman you forgot to take your meds? Nag aalala kami ng daddy mo and we missed you so much. It must be time to go home--

"Mom, I'm fine. It just happened. Nandiyan naman lagi si Bebang at Manang Angge to remind me kaya di ko nakakalimutan kumain at uminon ng gamot. And Elijah's taking good care of me." I cut her off at kumbinse siyang tiningnan. "Si Elijah?"

I'm not sure if I slept long enough or was Elijah at his office or what. My last memory was seeing him and Marcus.

"Nandiyan sila ng daddy mo sa living area. May pinag uusapan,"she said while fixing my hair. "I'll let them in later. For now kumain ka muna. I prepared a soup for you."

Hindi na ako kumontra nang tumayo si Mommy at inihanda ang pagkain ko from an insulated container. Umupo siya sa gilid ko.

"How was your preparation para sa engagement niyo for the next two months?" she asked habang hinihipan ang soup. Maybe trying to divert my attention and lift up my mood.

"Helga already took care of it, Mom. It's as planned. Masquerade ang theme and Elijah agreed with it. Whatever that suits me daw." Helga's the trusted family events organizer eversince and a bestfriend of Cassie's. Elijah's sister. She knows what to do already. And she knows my standard.

"Well then, that's great. I'm too excited to think that your going to be engaged and be married soon sa lalaking mahal mo and to the man that every woman would wished to have." Mom sighed dreamily. "If I was your age at hindi ko nakilala ang daddy mo I would have fallen inlove with Elijah. Great great catch!" Mom even giggled like a school girl.

I rolled my eyes habang nilulunok ang sinubo niyang pagkain na walang lasa. " Was dad not a catch?"

"Well he was. Tingnan mo naman. Kahit ganyan na ang edad marami paring kumakalabit."

"But your a match to him too, Mom." I wished I was as healthy and as free spirited as Mom.

Mom's as slender as me and she still maintained her hourglass figure despite her age. She even looks so young. And she had enjoyed everything that has to be enjoyed during her youth.

"And you're a match to Elijah too, honey. Way way better than any woman. Mana ka yata sa akin."

"Convince me, Mom." Alam ko namang hindi magiging normal ang buhay namin ni Elijah kung sakaling matuloy ang kasal namin.