It's Just Getting Started

I love all of the feedback you've all given my last chapter. I hope you enjoy this new update.

Nate's POV

"Nathanial." Bart greets me.

"Hello, Mr. Bass. You have a wonderful home." I compliment him.

"And a wonderful life."

"Yes."

"Let's have a chat, Nathanial." He places his hand on my shoulder, squeezing it tight, and brings me to follow him.

"Yes, I would love to do that. I just wanted to tell you that I respect and love your daughter and everything she is going through right now, and I want to be by her side through it all."

"As wonderful as that sounds, Nathanial, let's talk about your real intentions with my daughter."

"Sir, I'm not sure what you mean."

"My daughter trusts too easily, but I will not have her exploited by the likes of you."

"Likes of me?"

"You are not what is best for my daughter."

"Sir, I will have to respectfully disagree."

"I know you do."

"I don't know what I did to make..."

"It's what you'll do in the future, Nathanial." He cuts me off.

"In the future?"

"My daughter is brilliant and has her whole future ahead of her."

"And I respect and admire her for all of those traits."

"And you will understand when I say I will do anything to make sure she has the life she deserves. The life I have fought so hard to make for her and Chuck."

"I want nothing but the best for Ella."

"Even if it doesn't involve you in it."

"Why..."

"You have a past, Nathanial. One I'm not proud of or want my daughter to have in her life. All up until now, she has a wonderful reputation, and I want it to stay that way."

"Sir, what are you saying?"

"I'm saying I don't want my daughter to be connected to an amateur prostitute and son of a con." Bart insults me.

"Uh..."

"You're going to break Eloise's heart sooner or later. If you're a real man, you'll do it before she gets too invested."

"I will not break Ella's heart. I love her. More than I've loved anyone." I declare.

"Are you sure about that?" He forces me to look over at Serena. "I know a thing or two about loving someone who may still love someone else."

"I don't love Serena. I haven't in a long time." I respond.

"You're just lying to yourself." He places his hand on my shoulder again.

"I'm not a liar." I argue right back.

"Then why are you lying to Eloise saying you're staying at the Palace when in fact, you're living in your house with no electricity, water, or heat?" He questions me.

"I..."

"We can't change who we are, Nathanial." He whispers before leaving to greet another guest. I look over seeing Ella with a big smile as she greets the other party guest.