16: The Day Before

Traveling back to home was fantastic. 

Ochako got to see her family and spend time with them, especially at such a good time. In tomorrow it would be her birthday. She would always stay up until midnight, celebrating the minute it became her birthday.

It always made her feel alive.

Although she would always hate that her Christmas presents got lumped in with her birthday presents, but she could deal with that.

This year she would have a sleepover with all her friends. Mina, Momo, Tsu, Hagakure, and Jirou.

Apart from her birthday, there was one other thing on her mind.

Ochako hadn't read her book in a while. After getting it back she just felt that it had bad vibes. She reached out for the book and flipped the pages. The pages have new creases... did he read it? No. I trust that he didn't it was probably just when I threw it at my wall or when Bakugo grabbed it in the kitchen.

The brunette picked up the book and started to read from where it had left off.

The phone rang with fury, ringing and ringing. Who could be calling this early in the morning? I picked up the phone and held it to my ear.

"Hello?" I asked groggily.

"Shit. I knew I shouldn't have called." The man on the other side of the phone mumbled. "Nevermind, Lola."

"Wait," I said. The voice was familiar. "Mason? Why are you up so early?"

"Uh, shit... I don't know. I was just bored." His voice was a bit staticky, but I could hear him okay. "Did I wake you?"

"Look at you, Mr. Rude, asking me how I feel." I teased. "You were never like this in high school, ya know."

A loud groan could be heard from the other side of the phone. "You have to keep reminding me?"

"Yeah." I said, a little giggle slipping. My eyes widened. Giggle? To him? He tormented me for years... and now? I don't even know what he is to me anymore. "Sorry, Mason. But you tormented me for years."

"Sorry about that." His voice went quiet. "Really. I'm sorry."

"What a softie." Ochako mumbled, flipping the page.

"You're sorry? You're never sorry. Don't say that. It's not the Mason that I know." I said, clutching the phone with my other hand.

I meant it. Mason was a person who never said sorry. Why would he say sorry? He'd done way worse things to people yet he was saying sorry for calling in the middle of the night.

"Sorry." Mason muttered. "Wait. Shit, sorry. Oh wait. SHIT!"

I heard the sound of clattering and glass shattering. That guy really has some anger issues, I might say. "Mason."

"SHIT! Now I fucking goddamn broke my phone." I heard Mason say.

"HEY DUMBASS! YOUR PHONE ISN'T BROKEN."  I shouted.

Sounds of clattering and moving items filled the phone, repeating in my ear. "Ah shit. Well the screen is broken. I have to go fix that." His voice was muffled.

"Ochako, sweetie! Come help us clean up the living room!" Her mother called.

Ochako lifted his head. What time is it? 8:23. "Coming, mom!" She called, setting down her book. The brunette pulled her blanket over the cover and stood up, leaving her room in a rush.