28: The Calm Before the Storm

Ochako fondled with Bakugo's hair in her hands, taking the soft hair in her hands. "Bakugo, you comfortable?" She asked, glancing down at him. His face was peaceful, a lot different from his normal face. His muscles looked relaxed and his eyes were more lidded than normal. 

Bakugo self consciously nodded. "Mhmm." He mumbled quietly. His head was rested on Ochako's lap, his head looking up at her. Her hands ran through his spiky hair, gently tangling her fingers through his blonde locks. 

It was really soft.

And spiky. 

It was like a Pomeranian.

"You gonna fall asleep?" Ochako asked with a smile on her face, keeping her tone soft for him. The male nodded again. She reached out for her blanket and phone, resting the soft blanket on his body. Bakugo adjusted his body and rested in a comfortable laying down position. 

Ochako unlocked her phone and swiped through the pages of apps to Wattpad, opening up the story that she had last read. Sweet and Sour. She had been a bit preoccupied with Bakugo, not having the time to read her book. But she had almost reached the plot part. 

She decided that it would be exciting to read. 

The calm before the storm. I had never understood what people had meant by that. I always figured it was some term for tsunamis. You know, the large wave of water that crashes down on land, killing thousands?They always trick you into thinking it's not coming with small waves, then blasting you with a large one that knocks buildings and homes down, killing people. 

But I think now I get it. Maybe never understanding something helped me realize it better when it actually happened to me. 

I figured that it would be a normal day. We've been dating for a month. Nothing that serious, only a month, and were in a... complicated relationship. I still have no clue if we're in a closed relationship or an open relationship. 

"Mason, are you awake?" He softly grunted in response, shifting his body closer to me. I peeked over his shoulder and saw his eyelids closed. "Babe..." 

"What?" Mason asked in a slightly rude tone. I knew that he was just grouchy because it was the morning. 

I pushed down his shoulder so he was laying flat on his back, slapping an arm over his eyes. "Wake up... come on, I-" 

A ding came from my phone. Who's that? Mason looked over at the sound of a ding. "Who's that?" Mason asked, slowly sitting up and glancing at the nightstand. 

I brushed it off and grabbed my phone. "It's probably just an Instagram notification." I said, opening up my phone. Trevor? Why did he message me?

The ex? Why is he texting at this time? Ochako scrolled down at saw a white page pop up at the top of her phone. Huh? Deku? Why is he texting right now? 

Ochako opened the text, her mind filled with confusion. 

Deku: Hey. Can I call you right now? I need to tell you something I can't tell you over text.

Ochako tipped her head to the side in confusion. 

Me: sure.

In an instant, her phone rang with Deku's contact info on the screen. She swiped right and pressed her phone up to her ear. Bakugo woke up from the sound and looked up at her. 

"Hey. What's up?" Ochako asked, gently stroking Bakugo's soft hair while on the phone. 

"I need to tell you something." Deku said in a somewhat serious tone. Bakugo jolted up at the sound of the voice. The brunette sighed and mouthed to him, 'Calm down'.

Bakugo furrowed his eyebrows put then laid his head in her lap. "Hmm? What is it?" She asked. 

"You know how we broke up because I was too focused on my hero work?" 

How could she forget? It took her months to get over him. In her opinion, he shouldn't have gotten together with him if he didn't want to focus on her for at least 1/4 of his time. He had rarely spent any time with her AND he had the audacity to break up with HER. 

Ochako gritted her teeth. "Yes." She said in a snarky way. 

"I was thinking... maybe we could get back together?" Deku asked in a hopeful tone. 

The brunette slapped a hand on her head (mentally). "I'm sorry, but I'm seeing Bakugo right now." She said, narrowing her eyes even though she couldn't even see him in front of her. 

Bakugo put a hand on her shoulder, noticing her distraught and mean look. 'You okay?' He mouthed to her. Ochako put on a happy smile and nodded. That was fake, obviously. And it was very easy to see through.

"I know. That's why I'm asking." This made Ochako even more furious. Right now she just wanted to pummel him. "I don't think that you should be with him."

"Are you questioning my choices now? Need I remind you, you broke up with me!" Ochako yelled into the phone, making Deku flinch on the other side of the phone. Bakugo's eyes widened. Is Deku... Bakugo snatched the phone out of her hands and pressed the phone against his ear.

"I know, I just want to try again. I really don't think that he's right for you." Deku said, not realizing that he was talking to Bakugo instead of Ochako. 

Bakugo grinded his teeth against each other and ended the call on the spot, throwing her phone to the side, landing on the soft bed. "Little shit has the audacity to fuc-"

Ochako clenched her fists at her side and started to shake. "I can't believe... that little fucker..." She trembled as she thought back to her relationship. 

Don't get it wrong. Their relationship wasn't abusive or anything. She just hated more than anything that when they got together Deku still treated her like a friend. It was rude. 

Ochako hated it more than anything. And she was actually planning to break up with him that weekend, she just didn't want to do it on his birthday. But apparently, her generosity caused her to be the one to get dumped first. 

A bit ironic, no?

A single tear dropped down from her brown eyes, rolling down her cheek and falling onto the sheets. Bakugo immediately engulfed her in a hug and felt her body relax as she gently placed her hands on her back. 

"I'm sorry, Round Face. You deserve better than that." Bakugo said, feeling the water of her tears soaking into his black tank top. "So... much better."

Bakugo absolutely wanted the best for Ochako. He knew that she deserved the world and so much more. And maybe... he just felt that he didn't fit within her standards. If Deku didn't fit her standards, then how could Bakugo fit within her standards? 

Maybe... he didn't really think that he was good enough for her. He was rude and loud, always swearing... it didn't really fit with her bubbly and happy personality. 

This was just the wake up call he needed to find out what was best for him... and Ochako.