Four

Zach's POV

I sat in my car reading over our plans for the next few weeks as I waited for Emily to be done with school. She was naive as Terrence had said. Too quick to trust I felt like. I saw her run towards my car and knew exactly what I would do. "I have to talk to you."

"You look angry. Are you okay?" Emily asked as she fastened her seat belt.

Why did manipulating her make me angry? Usually, I could do it without caring. "Yeah," I sighed as we drove. "It's about your dad."

She put down her phone. "What happened now? Is someone else after him now?"

"Well, what do you expect?" I asked driving past her neighborhood though she didn't even notice. "Your father targets everyone first and people want revenge. He hires you, guards, right? He says he's protecting you from the people out there but really you should be protected from him."

"Zach, do you know something?" Emily questioned.

I put a hand on her leg. How was I going to play this? If I played my cards right she'd be on our side. If I played them wrong I'd expose everyone and put Jonah and Corbyn at risk since they work in such close quarters to her dad. I decided with a half-truth. "You know Jack?" I asked and she nodded. "Your dad owed his family money. I don't remember exactly why. Anyways, your dad set them up and told them to meet them at a park. When Jack and his siblings got there your dad wasn't there but rather some of your guards. They killed Jack's siblings and stabbed Jack. He got away. That's one of the many things he's done."

Emily was quiet for a moment. What I hadn't told her was that it was really Daniel's family. She looked at me with an angry spark in her eyes. "He could never double-cross anyone," she stuttered.

"Explain to me then, why you have to sneak out to see me. Why do you have to go straight home from school? There are dangerous people out there and they'll get revenge on your dad. He's using you as his pawn," I explained, glancing at the voice recorder that I'd hidden in the backseat.

"Take me home. I have some things I have to do," Emily stuttered.

"What are you up to?" I asked, turning around.

Emily shook her head. "I'll tell you about it tomorrow."

No one's POV

Jonah and Corbyn sat in the guardhouse by the gate listening in on the conversation between Zach and Emily. Daniel and Jack were in the living room listening. Jack turned to Daniel. "He's the best member among us."

"I'll never doubt him again," Daniel mumbled as he turned off the recording.

"Should've said that after he shot Emily's grandfather," Jack muttered before walking away. "He's deadly. Watch yourself."

Zach picked up his phone as he drove towards the house. He looked at the caller ID. "Hey, Corbs. What's up? Really? Yeah, I'm on it. Bye."

Zach pulled up at the house and Daniel got in. They drove in silence before Daniel congratulated Zach on luring Emily in. Zach parked in front of a small house that they owned. He grabbed his gun. Jack got in the driver's seat. "I'll be back with them."

Emily walked up to Corbyn. "Mr. Besson."

"Yes ma'am," Corbyn replied.

"Do you know how to use a gun?" Emily asked.

They had gotten more comfortable with each other from spending more time together. When her dad wasn't around Emily would talk to them.

Corbyn shrugged. "I'm okay at it I guess."