Twenty-one

Emily's POV

Ever since I'd told Daniel that I could've killed him he followed me around like a lost puppy. He was constantly asking me what the plan had been but I was going to make him drag it out of me. Zach had spent the past several weeks at the hospital. He hadn't slept or ate since the shooting and we were all getting worried about him. His family had come last week when we almost lost Reese. We knew it was coming and we knew how much it would devastate Zach.

I walked into the kitchen to find the boys talking about my dad. I was exhausted from being at the hospital most of the night. Jack put an arm around me as he leaned against the counter. "I'm headed to the hospital soon. Want a ride?"

I nodded as Jack lifted me onto the counter. "Daniel."

Daniel stopped talking to Jonah. "What's up princess?"

"I need my purse. I have some things I'm taking to Zach," I replied.

Daniel hurried up the stairs to get it. Jonah watched in amusement before turning to me. "Damn girl. You got him in the palm of your hand."

"I've been pulling strings for years," I laughed.

"Okay but still, Daniel is a hard person to control," Jack said. "How are you doing it?"

"We've become friends and also guilt," I said as I took Jonah's coffee. "You don't mind if I have a sip do you?"

Jonah shook his head as Daniel walked into the room. Jack grinned as he helped me off the counter. "Let's go. I have to drop a file off at Eben's on the way."

When we got to the hospital I went straight to Corbyn's room to greet him and talk a little bit. He was excited to go home tomorrow. After a few minutes, I went to Reese's room to find Zach leaning against the wall where he had been for the past few weeks. His mom glared at me as Zach rested his head on my shoulder. She didn't like me but I didn't really care. "Baby, you can barely stand up. Let's go home."

Zach nodded as I led him into the parking lot. I took the keys out of his pocket and put him in the passenger side. I felt bad for him. All I wanted to do was get some food in him and let him sleep. I stopped at a McDonald's and got him two sandwiches and a soda. When we got home it took a while for me to get his attention. I led him into the house. "Hey, guys!" Daniel called from the kitchen. 

Zach gave a small wave as I helped him upstairs. He finished both sandwiches and curled up under the blanket as I turned a movie on. I noticed tears in his eyes and paused the movie. "Z?" 

"If there's no improvement by tomorrow they'll have to take her off life support," Zach replied trying his best not to cry. 

Corbyn's POV

The worst part was being kept in the hospital knowing the others were going on with the plans. I'd heard Reese wasn't doing well and I felt guilty though I knew it wasn't my fault. I glanced at Jack who was dozing off in the chair across the room. I slowly made my way out of the bed, wincing the second I stood up. I picked the blanket up off the floor and put it over Jack before leaving the room to walk around. It was the first time I'd felt well enough to walk on my own since the operation. I waved to a few nurses as I made my way to one of the windows at the end of the hall. It was a different view than from my room. I could see the city from here. After about an hour I went down to the nurse's station to ask for a drink before going back to my room where Jack was completely knocked out. After finishing the water I turned on the television to see if I could find anything interesting. No luck. I figured sleeping was the only way to pass the time until tomorrow.