Twenty-two

Jonah's POV

Daniel and I had formulated a plan so I decided to go tell the others about it. I went upstairs and knocked on the door. There was no response. I opened the door and smiled. Zach had his head on Emily's stomach and Emily was sprawled across the bed. I knocked on the door. "Hello." 

Emily moaned as she shifted. "What do you want Jo?" she murmured. 

"It's time," I replied. 

Emily gently shook Zach's shoulder. When we'd all gotten into the car we went over the plan and how we were going to get the money. It didn't take long before we pulled up in front of her house. The guard opened the gate when he saw Emily. She looked nervously at me and I nodded as she went into her dad's office and closed the door. Daniel and I ran upstairs to her dad's room where she'd said his safe was. It wasn't there. "Dani?" 

"You don't think..." Daniel asked in shock. 

I shook my head. "Don't even think it. Emily probably has no idea he relocated it." 

We went into Emily's old room. It was exactly how she'd left it. Her pink comforter and purple walls. Her posters of bands she currently liked or liked in the past. I noticed a guitar that I hadn't seen before. Making a mental note to pick it up on the way out, we went down the hall into the spare bedroom. I nearly tripped on an uneven part of the ground. When I lifted up the carpet I found a floor safe. Daniel opened up the duffle bag as I picked the lock. Zach stood at the door with his gun at his side. "Holy shit," I gasped when I saw how much money was in there. 

"How much?" Daniel asked. 

"Hundred thousand," I replied. 

Daniel picked up the bills and began counting. Once he reached ten he handed me the stack which I put in the duffel bag. This went on for what felt like forever. Soon the bag was full as I put in the last stack. I zipped up the bag and slung it over my shoulder. 

Emily's POV (again, briefly)

I headed out of my dad's office when I'd gotten Zach's text saying it was okay. The mission was over. I couldn't believe how we'd pulled it off. Granted our guards didn't really care what happened as long as no one got hurt. Anyone could get in. As I walked away another man went into my dad's office. I felt someone hug me from behind and smiled when I saw Zach. "Hey, baby." 

"Yes sir. I think we need to make plans now," a man was saying from in the office. 

I leaned against the door. What was my dad plotting now? What could he possibly want? 

"So Mr. Seavey has been behind all these deaths?" my dad was asking. 

"Him and his accomplices. Do you know them?" the man asked. 

"My daughter is dating Mr. Herron," my dad explained. 

Zach kissed me when he heard my dad said that. "Lucky for me." 

I smiled as I continued listening. "Really?" the man asked. "I wouldn't have known." 

"Why is that?" my dad asked. 

"You know that party that Zach and Corbyn shot up?" the man asked. 

"Yes." 

"Emily," Zach stuttered, a look of panic filling his eyes. 

"Zach was cuddling up to some girl at the party. I don't know who she was but it wasn't your daughter sir. They didn't do much but she was kissing his neck," the man said. 

Zach's POV

I'd wanted to tell her. I should've told her. There had never been a good time. We were more focused on the mission than who was hugging who. Emily pushed me off her and ran out of the house. I went after her. "Emmy." 

"Who was she?" Emily asked as tears formed in her eyes. 

"Emily I swear there was nothing going on. She came onto me," I pleaded, reaching out to her. 

She pushed my hand away. "Don't touch me." 

A guard appeared. "Is he bothering you, Ms. Walton? Should we send him out?" 

Emily shook her head as the guard handed her a tissue. "That won't be necessary Silas." 

"It just kind of happened Emily," I sighed. "She was my ex. I don't know why she was at the party."

"You just kind of cuddled up to your ex at a damn party?" Emily yelled. "You really expect me to believe that?" 

Daniel and Jonah hurried over to see what was going on. Emily ran into Daniel's arms sobbing. Daniel frowned as he held her. It hurt to see her go to Daniel. I knew I'd screwed up. There was no excuse. I should've walked away from my ex, but I'd stayed and even been in her arms. "Emily I'm so sorry. I really do love you." 

"Don't you dare say you love me," Emily whispered, her tone was a mix of anger and pain. 

"Emily." 

"Why? Were you attracted to her? Were things still unresolved when we started dating?" Emily sobbed as she pulled away from Daniel. "And Corbyn knew about this?" 

Jonah's eyes widened when he realized what this was about. I shook my head. "Don't be silent now!" Emily screamed. "I want an answer, Herron!" 

I flinched at her tone. "Corbyn didn't know. We had spread out to make it not look suspicious. She approached me and started trying to kiss me. She wanted me back and I told her no." 

Emily ran back into her house. When she came back out she went straight to her Ferrari and sped out of the driveway. Daniel raised an eyebrow at me as we got into the car. Jonah looked guiltily at me. "What are you staring at Marais?" 

"It's my fault that Emily found out," Jonah sighed. 

"What?" I asked.

"She promised she wouldn't involve Emily if I paid her. I've been paying Kristin my share for the past several months. She said she'd leave you alone," Jonah replied as Daniel drove us to the hospital. 

"So what happened? How did Emily even end up finding out? I was going to tell her myself," I snapped. 

Jonah lowered his eyes. "She threatened to kill Emily and I lost my temper. I beat her up and she must've used that guy to get revenge. She knew we were coming and knew it would hurt you to deal with your sister and a breakup. It's part of her plan to keep us off track." 

I punched the seat in front of me causing Daniel to almost swerve into the next lane. With Kristin involved things were probably going to get much worse. "Did she say anything else?" Daniel asked. 

Jonah's eyes widened as he looked at Daniel. "We have to find Emily." 

"Why?" I asked. 

Jonah was shaking at this point as Daniel made a U-turn. "She said that when she finds Emily she'll kill her. I paid her but then after I attacked her she said Emily's next on her hit list."