Twenty-three

Jack's POV

I was woken up by my phone ringing. I moved my hand out from under the blanket. It was Jonah. I picked up and he sounded panicked. When he explained the situation I got out of the chair almost immediately. I got a piece of paper and wrote a quick note telling Corbyn where I'd gone before racing to the hospital parking lot. Breaking most traffic laws, I sped down the road. I dialed Nicole's number and she picked up almost immediately. "Where does Emily go when she's angry or upset?" 

"Usually she goes to her dad's cabin in the woods. Why?" Nicole replied. 

I explained it and she gave me the directions. I pulled onto a dirt road that seemed to go on for miles. Soon a purple Ferrari came into view and I sighed with relief. She wasn't in the cabin. Nervous, I ran down to the river where I saw her sitting at the dock crying into her sleeves. There was a rustle in the trees and I pulled out my gun. I noticed Kristin running off and sighed with relief. I'd barely made it on time. I made my way down the rocky stairs and sat beside Emily who didn't even notice I was there. "Want to talk about it?" 

She shook her head and I ran a hand through her hair. "Emmy, Zach's not a liar. I know he made a mistake and believe me he knows too. However, he loves you so much." 

"Why wouldn't he tell me? I don't care if he hugged her. I know he doesn't like her. Why did he lie?" Emily asked tearfully. 

I pulled her into my arms, letting her cry on my shoulder as much as she needed to. When I looked up the hill I saw the others. Zach ran off. Kristin's plan was working. We were all distracted. I took the car keys and helped Emily up. "Let's go home." 

"I know I yelled at him a lot. Do you think he'll accept an apology?" Emily asked. "Maybe I overreacted?" 

I smiled slightly. "He'll definitely take you back." 

We got to the house and I led her upstairs. When I opened the door my eyes widened. Zach was standing in the middle of the room with Kristin leaning in for a kiss. I turned to Emily whose jaw had clenched. Kristin smirked. "Hi." 

Emily grabbed her by the collar and punched her. I knew better than to get involved without some backup. Kristin had always been pretty feisty and Emily was definitely not a pushover. "Get the hell out of this house!" Emily screamed. 

Jonah and Daniel ran up the stairs and froze when they saw the fight that was unfolding. Daniel grabbed Emily and Jonah took Kristin. "Get the hell out of here or I swear I'll kill you!" 

"You say that a lot but there's never any follow-through," Kristin laughed. 

Jonah pulled the knife out of his pocket so fast none of us had time to react. "You really want to test me? Get out of here!" 

Daniel's POV

A few days had passed and somehow Zach had convinced the hospital to keep Reese on life support a little longer just in case something changed. Unfortunately, nothing had. We were just preventing the inevitable at this point. Zach and Emily weren't on speaking terms. I had no idea why Zach was mad at Emily but I wasn't about to get involved. Corbyn was finally home and back in commission. He was happy that the mission was over. We were all praying the next one wouldn't be as complicated. 

"Wet towel," Emily moaned as I held back her hair. 

Yes, we had a new problem. Emily had been throwing up so often that today we were taking her to the doctor. None of us knew what was going on. I handed her the towel which she put on her forehead. "Think you can go to the car?" 

Emily nodded as I helped her up. I flushed the toilet and led her to the car. She rested her head against the window, taking a few deep breaths. "I feel a little better now."