Fifteen

The new year had started as the boys laid low waiting for Emily and Zach to heal. The new semester had started which meant Reese wasn't home as much going to school and out with her friends. They had now started up again knowing they had to get Arthur before he got them. Daniel was getting anxious not knowing when Arthur would strike next.

Zach and Jack were on the couch reading the schedule when Emily stormed into the room. "Where the hell is Jonah?"

Zach jumped to his feet. "In the kitchen. Why?"

Emily walked into the kitchen and slammed a paper on the table. The conversation stopped when they saw what it said. Emily turned to Daniel. "You didn't tell me? Not even you Zach?" 

"We didn't know how," Zach mumbled. 

"You tortured him and he had no intention of killing me. Why not go after my dad or other family members? Maybe Terrence?" Emily snapped as she pushed Zach away. 

Corbyn shook his head. "You can't take this out on Z. Andre's crew had Reese. He was only protecting his little sister." 

Emily shot a look at Zach before turning to Daniel. "Okay, that makes sense. What was your reason?" 

Daniel's typical smug look was angering the girl even more. "I needed an assistant and you needed mafia training." 

The conversation was interrupted when Nicole walked downstairs. Jack saluted her as she headed to the backyard. Nicole saluted him back and went to one of the lounge chairs. Jack seemed mesmerized as she took off her coverup revealing a blue bikini. "Zone back in Avery," Corbyn laughed. 

Jack blinked trying to remember what they were talking about. "Y-yes, we were solely focused on Zach's sister. Otherwise, we wouldn't have had any other reason to get him. I do think, Daniel, there was a better way to train her." 

Daniel who was also distracted by Nicole glared at Jack. "You of all people shouldn't talk Avery. Or do you not remember how you saved Corbyn's life by shooting your dad? In the mafia, you do what you have to do in order to survive." 

Zach put an arm around Emily and led her out of the room, knowing things could get nasty between Daniel and Jack. Before they met Daniel, Jack had led the group. Daniel came along and Eben made him the new leader. The boys had been at each other's throats for almost a year after that had happened but they were best friends now. Jack stayed quiet and Daniel led the group however he wanted. However, bringing up Jack double-crossing his dad had been a low blow and Zach didn't want to think what could happen next.

Zach's phone buzzed and he picked it up as he helped Emily into the car. "Stop calling me." 

"Something wrong?" Emily asked. 

Zach shook his head as he turned on the car. "Beach?" 

Emily nodded as they left the driveway. They pulled up to their favorite spot at the beach. Zach turned off the car and smiled as he looked at Emily. "I wish it could always be like this," she whispered. 

Zach smiled as he kissed her cheek. "Me too baby." 

"Then why not," Emily asked as she followed Zach into the backseat. 

Zach looked up from lowering the two front seats so they could have a good view of the beach without seats in the way. "Why not what?" 

"Just leave the mafia? Have the life you've always wanted. Have time with your family. Especially Reese. I know you want to," Emily replied. 

Zach shook his head. "It's like a gang. Once you get in, it's impossible to get out without risking the lives of your whole family. The boys would never hurt any of our families but our boss Eben would if we ever tried to leave. Besides, it's not all bad. We make insane money." 

Emily curled up into Zach's arms as he gave her a blanket. "Guess I could settle for these moments then." 

"I know it'll be hard for you to do," Zach teased. 

"Of course," Emily laughed as she closed her eyes. 

Zach stroked her hair as he looked out at the water. "I'm sorry my love." 

"For what?" Emily mumbled not wanting to move from where she was positioned. 

"Getting you involved in this. I know this isn't what you wanted," Zach replied. 

Emily shifted so that she was on top of Zach. "I thought I would hate the mafia. Honestly, I hated all of you guys too. Then I realized I was where I was meant to be. I have you and I've made the most amazing friends who I know won't betray me. I wouldn't change one thing." 

"Really?" Zach asked. 

Emily leaned down and kissed her boyfriend. Zach smiled as he shifted to be on top of her. "I'll take that as a yes."