Twenty-four

Jonah's POV

I walked into the kitchen to find Nicole sitting on Jack's lap with a glass of wine I joined them and poured myself a glass. Corbyn walked in and did the same. Emily joined us but, got orange juice. "Want some wine? Or even some tequila if you're up to it."

She shook her head as she sipped her juice. Jack smirked. "What? Are you pregnant or something?"

Emily put a hand on her stomach as she nodded. I nearly spit out my wine. Before any of us could say anything she put a hand over her mouth and ran to the bathroom. I hurried after her and closed the door. I quickly put her hair in a loose bun. She finished and rested against me. "I know this isn't the best time."

I shrugged. "Emmy, we're here for you no matter what."

Emily's lower lip began to tremble and I pulled her into a hug. "What's wrong?"

"I'm going to get fat," Emily sobbed. "And I want Zach."

My heart broke for her. "You're going to be just as gorgeous as you are now. You'll be an amazing mom. Zach's wants you too."

"I want him back now though. Where is he?" Emily sobbed. "I need him now."

I couldn't answer that question. He should've been back by now. I picked her up and carried her up to her room. It didn't take long for her to fall asleep. I went downstairs and pulled up a chair. "Okay, where are Zach and Daniel?"

Jack shook his head as he braided Nicole's hair. Corbyn looked up from his book. "They should be back by now."

Corbyn picked up his gun and grabbed a jacket. "I'll go have a look."

Corbyn's POV

I drove around town, looking around. I pulled up at Arthur's house and asked him. He claimed he hadn't seen them. I left and went to our house. The front door was open. That was odd. I went inside and noticed a small pool of blood. After getting it cleaned up I closed and locked the door. I got in the car and tried to get my thoughts together. What had happened to Zach and Daniel? I drove to the cabin. They werent there. They weren't in our "lair" where we'd kept Andre. I finally decided to go home when it began getting late. "Well?" Jack asked.

I sat down and took my phone out of my pocket. No messages from them. "There was blood in the house."

Jonah turned off the stove. "Corbs."

I lowered my eyes. "Jo, they could be alive but there's also a possibility that they weren't able to fight their attackers."

Jonah sighed as he finished up the cooking. "What are we going to tell her?"

I shrugged as I headed upstairs. I went into Emily's room and found her asleep. She was so peaceful. Zach's favorite green blanket was laying on the floor. I picked it up and put it over her before leaving. There was no need wake her up. Leftovers would be in the fridge.

Jack's POV

When I got home later the next afternoon, Zach and Daniel still hadn't come home. I'd taken Nicole home while the boys went to talk to Eben. I heard a scream come from upstairs and hurried inside, leaving the groceries in the car. A crash came from upstairs followed by a gunshot. I ran up the stairs to find Emily holding a gun and Kristin dead on the floor. "Em, give me the gun."

Emily didn't move. I went towards her and gently took the gun out of her hands. She looked fearfully at me. "Emmy, talk to me. What's going on?"

Footsteps sounded and Jonah appeared in the doorway with Corbyn. "What's going on?"

I was about to respond when Emily collapsed in my arms. It was then that I noticed a red stain spreading across her stomach. "I'll take her to the hospital. You deal with Kristin."

I carried Emily to the car and rushed to the hospital. We got there and the medics rushed her down the hall. "How did this happen?"

"She was jumped while walking," I lied. "Please help her. She's pregnant."

Surprisingly it didn't take long for the doctor to come back out with Emily. I stood up and approached her. "She's lucky. The wounds weren't deep enough to do any damage to the baby. She's going to sore but I've stitched her up and she's fine."

I grinned at Emily as we finished paying the bill. "Let's go home."

When we got home there was a tense conversation happening in the kitchen. Corbyn slammed his glass on the counter, causing it to shatter. "We've spent too long dealing with this madness. Just kill him and be done with it or so help me I will kill anyone who gets in the way."

"Anymore casualties and we'll be arrested. It'll be traced to us. With Daniel gone, Jack is in charge," Jonah snapped.

"Should've killed you when I had the chance," Corbyn hissed before storming out of the room.

Jonah put his head in his hands as he rested against the counter. I got Emily settled on the couch and went into the kitchen. "Jo?"

"I can't deal with him anymore," Jonah mumbled.

"He's scared. We all are," I replied.

"You're going to make excuses for him?" Jonah snapped.

I got a broom and began sweeping the glass up. "No, but I understand how he feels. Just try and keep your calm."

"Jack..." he muttered.

I looked up, noticing how pale Jonah had gotten. "You okay?"

He shook his head as he held the counter for support. "I went to a restaurant earlier after meeting Eben. The waiter looked familiar. I think he slipped something in the food."

"You didn't finish it did you?" I asked as I helped him walk.

He shook his head as he pointed at the fridge. "I put it there to check out later."

Feeling better knowing Jonah had only had enough to make him sick, I had him lay down. I wasn't about to let Arthur win this one. I needed to speak with Corbyn right now.

Okay, the next post is Monday. I just wanted to get this one up 💜