The Bright Side of Farewells

A sombre, painful atmosphere hung over the sunny morning on New Berk. The smell of heartbreak lingered as the townsfolk forced themselves into their usual daily chores, finding it much harder without the assistance of Vikings' best friends. The night before wasn't any better with their separation from the dragons merely hours prior.

Hiccup Haddock stood at the edge of the cliff in silence, his attentive stance facing the vast ocean as his eyes lay a cold, hard stare on the horizon. His face remained expressionless as the council members began to arrive and arrange themselves on the barren field behind him. Sadly, each and every one of them were puffy eyed from their night of weeping, missing their beloved dragons. They stood together in a scattered manner silently for what seemed like forever before Hiccup finally turned to his finest warriors and strategists.

His eyes remained unreadable to everyone, even Astrid. He began his briefing of the progress he wanted to start on their new home, just like any other discussion he'd held back on Berk. This time however, he never broke into a smile nor frown. His voice was monotonous, facial expressions blank.

As soon as he finished what turned out to be a monologue instead, his dull green eyes glanced over each person standing before him: Eret, Gobber, Snotlout, his mother, and finally Astrid. Their eyes met, hers red and puffy from tears she rarely shed, and his slowly filling with more colour: concern. The young chief broke off his gaze from his girlfriend as he turned back to the others, addressing them all. "Now get on with your designated duties." Hiccup turned back to Astrid for one last moment before speaking again. "I will be here for a little longer. If there are any issues, don't come searching for me, I'll meet you amongst the settlement." With that, he spun around and skulked back to the cliff edge, staring out in the distance once again.

The council members glanced at each other in worry. They knew Hiccup would have the hardest time healing after all he had been through with his best bud. Valka placed a hand on Astrid's shoulder, cupping the heartbroken warrior's cheek gently with her other. "Stay here with him, dear. Both you two need to think, and neither should be left alone," the wise ex-dragon lady suggested in a gentle voice.

"But Valka, you should be with him now, you've been amongst the dragons the longest here and you should really spend some time with Hiccup. You could reach him better on these matters," the blonde girl objected. She couldn't imagine the intensity of Valka's sorrow, especially after all those decades with Cloudjumper. Nevertheless, she just kept beaming with positivity through her pained eyes.

"Only you could ever reach him, Astrid. And don't worry about me, I can cope with it well. Besides, I'm not alone, there's Gobber and Eret and Snotlout, not to mention the entire village. We've got each other, just like how we did after Stoick's passing."

Gobber hobbled over to Astrid, giving her a tight hug with his right arm. "Don't worry lass, we'll hold up just fine." He took a step back as he smiled at the young lady before him.

"Heh, you've grown so much, from our very first dragon combat training until yesterday, the day we sent them home." He turned to glance at Snotlout, then at Hiccup in the distance, who was out of earshot. "All of you have, and the dragons were a part of that journey, like a guide on your passage to adulthood. Now that they're gone, it's time to start the new one without them."

Snotlout sniffled before taking a step forward and hugging Astrid as well. For the first time in his life, she returned it without hesitation, fully understanding its significance. As they broke apart, Snotlout held out an arm as he grinned, the other wiping a tear rolling down his cheek at the thought of his favourite fiery beast. "We did it, Hoff, and now we move forward once again."

Astrid couldn't help but smirk as she grabbed his hand with a firm grip. All her life, the Jorgenson had been an extreme pain in the ass, but no matter what he's done, he was still one of her most reliable and greatest friends.