Nightmares (Clint x Ethan (pt. 2))

Clint stood in the dimly lit hallway, tears welling in his eyes. It was hot so almost to an unbearable degree. He was screaming, so loud it was deafening. Someone was in danger, and Clint couldn't do anything to help them. He was stuck, unable to move no matter how hard he tried.

He hears a voice.

"It's okay Clint"

It wasn't. He knew it wasn't okay.

"At least we all know I'm a hero and not just a glorified IT guy" The voice laughs.

Tears stream down Clint's face as fire fills the entire room. The ceiling was caving in, in slow motion as he saw two dark brown eyes, filled with tears, looking up at him, with a smiling face.

"Don't do anything stupid alri-" Everything went black.

"No!" Clint woke up with a start in a hot sweat.

"Honey?" Laura questions waking up.

"S-sorry-" Clint breathes out panting heavily.

"It was another nightmare, wasn't it?" And asks softly, putting her hand on his shoulder. Clint nods. "About?" She questions.

"Ethan.." He says barely above a whisper.

"Oh honey.." Laura pulls Clint into a hug, rubbing his back gently. Clint hugs his wife back allowing his body to relax. "We all miss him.. I know I do, and the kids. You're not alone." She says soothingly. Clint doesn't respond, hugging her tighter as if he was afraid to let go. "You did everything you could. It's not your fault." Clint again stays silent before finally speaking, his voice trembling slightly.

"I hear him.. In every dream.. I hear his last words. I hear him laughing at his last joke... It won't go away." Laura pulled away to look at her husband. She gently wiped away his tears with a sympathetic sad smile.

"It will.. And you'll be okay. I promise." She says resting her forehead against his. He closed his eyes leaning into it.

"Thank you.."

"Now let's get back to sleep okay?" Clint nods and they both lay down again. This time cuddled close together and they stayed that way for the rest of the night.

The next morning. Clint wakes up late, to the smell of bacon and pancakes. He quickly gets dressed and heads down stairs. He smiles tiredly as he walks to the noise of his wife making breakfast and his kids fooling around.

"Hey look, Dad's awake!"

"Did breakfast wake you from your coma honey?" Laura asks with a laugh. Clint chuckles hugging her from behind.

"I could never sleep through your cooking." He says kissing her neck.

The family sits down and eats breakfast together joking and fooling around as families do.

"Hey dad. Do you think you could help me with my archery today?"

"Sure thing kiddo-" Clint was saying only to be cut off by his phone buzzing in his pocket. He was confused considering he was supposed to be off duty but he pulled out his phone seeing the one contact he was hoping not to see.

"Hello?"

"I was afraid of that.."

"I'm on my way."

"Honey? " Laura questions.

"The team needs me.. Nat said it's important -"

"I know, " Laura says, interrupting him. "They wouldn't have called you if it wasn't important. Now go." Clint nods, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Sorry kiddo.. I'll be back as soon as I can." He says ruffling his daughter's hair. before saying goodbye to his sons and going to get ready.

"Whatever this is, it better be important" Clint says as he arrives at the compound meeting room.

"Trust me. It is" Furry says walking in. 

//Word Count: 600//