xiv. 𝘰𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘯𝘵'𝘴 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴

⏤ 𝘥𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴

⏤ 𝘥𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘴

𝐊𝐚𝐳 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐖𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭. He knows exactly, but, is he going to acknowledge the fact that he has been trying to piece Dara Leovolt since he has ever laid eyes on her, or not?

Decisions, decisions.

Kaz moves his cane to his bad knee, walking up to Dara as he notices the way her body relaxes, not fearing him in anyway. He wonders why she does not feel the hairs on the back of her neck rise when he is in the room.

She feels him when he walks into a room, he feels her as well.

Taking a deep breath, he looks into her eyes, tilting his head, "you won't find anything there. You haven't found anything in my eyes for the past four years. You've learned about me through my dialogue."

"And what have you learned about me?"

Dara bites the inside of her cheek, "you're Kaz Brekker, although that 'R' tattoo speaks a different story. I believe you got it trying to convince yourself that— that part of you has not perished although, in fact, it has. You grew an empire, one I saw you grow and the moment you made a deal, you seemed exhausted. You are working⏤ you are driving yourself with the fuel of revenge.

"And although I will always be here to make sure nothing else of you breaks, I cannot stay to watch yourself spiral into a mess that I cannot stop⏤ that I cannot watch because it tears me down watching you break yourself brick by brick."

Kaz stands back, slightly, the phrase causing a hole into his chest. He did not know how much the girl paid attention, but clearly she knows more than she leads on, she knows more than he does.

He works with the facts.

She works with the people.

He works with the calculations.

She works with the emotions.

Together, they create a beautifully broken pair with dangerous aspirations.

For once, Kaz cannot figure out the calculations needed for this particular situation. Of course, he cannot, it's not a heist.

"I am going to ask you what I asked you the moment I met you: what can you do?"

Dara shakes her head, "you should have asked 'who are you', prick."

Kaz lips twitch into a smirk, trying to focus once more. He has come to enjoy the nickname, having to find it fitting and, yet also irritating. 

Dara takes a deep breath, she continues to stare into Kaz's blue eyes, as he stares into her brown ones. He admires the passion that is laced into them, the kindness, the heart, the⏤ the will.