xix. 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘤 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯

⏤ 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘳

⏤ 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘳

𝐀𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐥𝐝, all startled when hearing volcra growl in the distance; that being their alarm to head to lower decks. All head down, Inej glancing to Alina as Dara holds onto her. Whatever they are keeping under lock and key isn't as important as life as of right now.

"She'll be okay. She almost burned out faces off." Dara tries to lighten the mood, Inej nodding as they go down. 

Jesper messes with his pistols, "this is a bad idea."

"Now you speak that truth? When already on board?"

Jesper sticks his tongue out at her, Dara flipping him off as Jesper scoffs in the audacity. Both trying to lighten the mood as Dara starts to feel claustrophobic, her abilities starting to go haywire as she tries to ground herself, but the growling snaps her out of it once more. 

"I think it's rather practical," Kaz speaks, all taking off their large black coats and Jesper's interesting suit. 

"What? Why?" Jesper coughs.

Kaz sighs, "I don't see how we step off this boat without you pulling those guns. So, cleaning them is a good idea." 

Jesper points to his guns, "I don't mean this," he points to the roof, "I mean this. We are in the worst place in the world, on a ship full of people who want us dead, surrounded by monsters who want us in their gullets. I should have brought Milo."

"Who's Milo?" Inej asks, Dara slightly rolling her eyes as she gets her spear back onto her thigh once being changed. 

Jesper scoffs, "the goat." 

"How many bullets do you have?" Kaz questions. 

Jesper plays around with his toys, "not enough."

Inej looks to Dara, finding the Wonderer shaking as her eyes blink multiple times, her glowing blue eyes flickering back and forth as Inej glances to Kaz, who then glances to Dara.

Dara⏤ her heart is racing, they may die, she doesn't want to die, it's too soon, she is only sixteen, and yet she has seen much more than average⏤ she wants answers⏤ I want a normal life⏤ normal isn't staying in Ketterdam⏤ well, it is for me⏤ I want a cake⏤ water sounds great right now⏤ I miss the Crow Club⏤

"I need someone to hold me," Dara whispers the last part, forgetting the Dregs were looking to her as she tries to places her vest on, but her hands continue to shake. 

Kaz places his cane down, going to Dara as she looks up to find him. He starts to button-up her vest, his hands also shaking as Dara, in some twisted sense, finds comfort in his shaking hands.